Floor Separating

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can pull the floor apart row by row and re-lay it.
Number the rows, especially the end cuts. Remove enough rows of planks so you have room to work. When you get a few rows done, the existing planks may begin to get in the way, so remove more rows (numbered of course) and set them aside.
If you have space, you could undo 1/2 the room when you begin.
You would want to check how much expansion gap they left on the end cuts so you can duplicate what they did. Check that out before any removal. so you don't end up short...........I'm thinking tho, you aren't going to tackle this yourself?
How much material was left over?

No, I'm not going to try to do it myself. I have 2 unopened boxes left, with 19.5 sq. ft. per box. I still have to see how this plays out. I don't know if the original installer will come back and fix it or if I'll have to hire new people to fix it. If the original people come back, I have a feeling they will be furious with me and their hearts won't be in their work, but a new installer will charge me a fortune to carefully dismantle the floor and re-install it. But it's relief to know that the wood can be saved.

It's just setting there acclimating. :D I asked about the extra material because there is a chance with the proper edge gapping that some new boards might need to be cut here and there.

The independent inspector just left. He's going to look up all of the specs on my flooring and write a formal report, but his impression was that the installers either didn't use any glue, or used inadequate or wrong glue. He also looked in the floor vents and under the quarter round and saw no evidence of proper underlayment, though he said he didn't think that contributed to the separation. He didn't want to do any destructive testing, but he used a tool to scrape around for glue between some boards that had separated on their own, and he slid one loose board freely. He did all kinds of other tests that I didn't understand. He said the humidity was fine in the house and that the wood product itself looked fine.

Interesting. I'm anxious to see the final report. Then the fun starts---contacting the installer and trying to sort this out.

Its a black light and illuminates the tracers manufacturers put in adhesives. Some dont have tracers so its a hit or miss.
Destructive testing would be best. That way the inspector could tell if the installer used enough glue or if he just used elmers.
Best scenerio is to get the installer there to pull planks. Otherwise the inspector is on the hook for repair unless the manufacturer agrees to destructive testing.
Its a weird situation .

How much time does it usually take, after an inspection, to get a written report? I'm on pins and needles waiting to see what the inspector had to say.

Ha! He hasn't even billed me yet, which he said he would do. The whole process is a mystery to me. He left here with a scrap piece of the flooring and whatever he scraped from between the loose boards. He got readings from mysterious little gadgets, while he was here, and made various measurements. I don't know if he goes home and dons a scientist's hat and studies the samples and data he got, or if he just knows what went wrong from eye-balling it when he was here.

Haha! Sometimes involves sending a sample of adhesive or flooring to a lab. Most times not. There is lots of science to it unless it's just lack of adhesive or wrong adhesive. Thats why it is good to ask for the installer to be there to answer questions and pull a plank. But they rarely show up. Especially if they know they messed up.
Installers are notorious for not reading or understanding installation guidelines. Skimp on proper product, never passed a certification or educational seminars etc. Then there is a serious lack of proper installation guidelines from the manufacturer. I try reading some and many just don't make sense due to foreign language barriers.
I always get a check up front and won't send any report till the check clears.
Can you send me the report via message on this forum when you get it?

What is the complaint? These two guys are good, better than most.

I don’t release reports until paid, unless for a few lawyers I know or someone like S.N., which never happens:(

BCA83D94-7CF3-44D2-A747-B08446EDD73F.jpeg

Latest posts

Back