Floor Separation

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Solid wood transitions are usually fairly thick so depending what they transition to can sometimes be annoying. Do they transition to another hard surface or carpet?

I wouldn't expect the staples to come loose if they went into plywood, but OSB and particle board don't hold staples as well.

All of the doorways transition into the same hardwood. He wants to cut into the wood at all of the doorways and install transition pieces. I'll see if I can find out what material the subfloor is made of. The hardwood definitely has give to it if I stand and rock in the bad places, so something funny is going on there.

Yes, it flows through all of the doorways. It would look good if I didn't have that area of separation that is spreading along a straight line across the floor of one room and then into the hallway.

I heard back from the inspector who looked at the floor for me when the first installer didn't glue the edges together. I'm waiting to hear from again about whether he will come advise me again.

By the way, I've had this same hardwood downstairs for several years. There is one small area of slight separation and a small amount of warping right next to a couple of windows, but you have to look hard to find them. Downstairs it is floated over a slab.

Nobody has done any work on the floor because of the Covid quarantines, but, interestingly enough, the gaps are starting to close on their own. Hard to believe that gaps that big could just close up, but they seem to be.

Maybe I'm getting used to the gaps and the thought of having to re-install even part of that floor for a third time makes me like the idea of leaving the gaps even more.

Latest posts

Back