Flooring for Attic

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alpha

Hello all. I need help in figuring out flooring for an attic level of a house. It's mostly used for storage but I wanted to create a workspace there. The current setup is what I assume to be vinyl flooring, the kind that comes in large rolls and can be cut with a utility knife or heavy scissors. But it's been installed directly over the subfloor of unfinished wooden planks. My main concern is creating a 'thicker' buffer for the flooring. Sometimes it feels weird walking around and I'm convinced I'll put a hole through the floor someday.:eek:

Are there any suggestions for flooring that doesn't require major renovations? Something that can be DIY over the course of a week. I liked the idea of carpet tiles that are mounted on rubber backing. I'd prefer a solid surface material like laminate or cork but don't know if they exist in tile form. I'd rather not deal with barrier layers or adhesive. Is this even possible?

How about a floating click vinyl plank? Some are more rigid than others and require no adhesive or undelayment up stairs.

They also have interlocking rubber mats, which are often utilized in garages, laundry rooms, and a kids playroom. I've seen them available at the big box stores, as well as Costco, and they come in various colors, and dirt cheap.

The picture was from a search at Costco. These seem pretty heavy duty.

mats.jpg

Last edited:
They also have interlocking rubber mats, which are often utilized in garages, laundry rooms, and a kids playroom. I've seen them available at the big box stores, as well as Costco, and they come in various colors, and dirt cheap.

The picture was from a search at Costco. These seem pretty heavy duty.

I seen this product on cement in a customers home the other day and it had a wood grain pattern to it. I was surprised to see that it was puzzle pieces like that. It looked great and felt nice to walk on. Light weight too.

Hello all. I need help in figuring out flooring for an attic level of a house. It's mostly used for storage but I wanted to create a workspace there. The current setup is what I assume to be vinyl flooring, the kind that comes in large rolls and can be cut with a utility knife or heavy scissors. But it's been installed directly over the subfloor of unfinished wooden planks. My main concern is creating a 'thicker' buffer for the flooring. Sometimes it feels weird walking around and I'm convinced I'll put a hole through the floor someday.:eek:

Are there any suggestions for flooring that doesn't require major renovations? Something that can be DIY over the course of a week. I liked the idea of carpet tiles that are mounted on rubber backing. I'd prefer a solid surface material like laminate or cork but don't know if they exist in tile form. I'd rather not deal with barrier layers or adhesive. Is this even possible?

Can you lift up a corner of the material and describe the "planks" you think are there? Are the planks nailed down well or just laying on the framing material?

Are the planks you describe 1X6, or 2X6 ? How well is it fastened and how far between centers? 16 inches or 24 inches?

A little more detail might help us, help you.

Last edited:
Flooring an attic does not only give you more storage area, it also makes it safer to walk in the attic rather than stepping from joist to joist.

Latest posts

Back