Flooring inspection 101

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highup

Will work for food
Supporting Member
Pro
Laminate flooring was installed a year ago and all was fine. It had been acclimated for a few days prior to the installation.

A different installer was sent down 6 months later because the floor seemed to be flexing and buckling. In this room, installer said after it was repaired, that the flooring was butted unusually tight to 3 walls of the room, so he removed the baseboards, pulled out 15 rows of laminate, did some minor floor flattening and relieved the pressure caused by the boards butting tight to the walls.......then reinstalled the boards and trim. All was good after that.

However, the second room.......... a slightly larger living room started doing the same thing a few months later.
Same installer that did previous fix was again called to fix this room.
Installer noted that the floor in this room was also butted very tight to the wall and to the trim at a sliding glass patio door.......... not simply butting these wall and trim surfaces, but very tight against them.
Installer requested that the store hire an inspector to look at the floor because something appeared to be very unusual. Installed suspected moisture issues coming from under the home.
OK, so here goes:
You are contracted by a retailer to find out why this laminate floor is starting to buckle and you were told what appeared to be going on at this location...... that the installer suspected moisture issues as the culprit.

You arrive at the location and you do what?
What are the main things you will absolutely check on any job where
a possible moisture situation like this is suspected?
What things might not need to be checked?

Name the top 5 or 10 things you'd absolutely check, measure or make note of in your report?

Name these checks in the order that you would perform them.

It's a ranch style home, wood frame with 36" or so of ground clearance under the home. Home is 1/2 way up on a hillside, not on the valley floor. It's in Oregon so it occasionally rains here.:D
Make note that the room that was repaired earlier was a den at the far end of the home, and the room now in peril is a living room at the opposite end of the home...............there is a 14 foot long hallway with the same laminate that connects both rooms without using any 't' mouldings. Hallway looks fine.
Gimme your list of the most important things to check and also let me know what you think the very minimum inspection in this home should include.

OK............ very roughly, what will you're inspection cost the store? You can e-mail me that to keep it out of the public eyes. I'm not getting into inspections business, so doncha worry bout competition from Highboy or Loboy. I'm just fishin to see if this retailer got what they paid for.
My installer hunches (gut feelings) on this issue do not match the 'professional' inspectors results or recommended fixes.

Last edited:
I'm just fishin to see if this retailer got what they paid for.
My installer hunches (gut feelings) on this issue do not match the 'professional' inspectors results or recommended fixes.

Ah, so you going in behind an inspector eh? There is only one reason the flooring is moving.

Grading around house as you pull in driveway
Rain gutters as you walk up to house
Ambient rh and temp in house (using a professional grade thermohygrometer)
Underlayment used, pull floor vent, pin subfloor.
HVAC used? Working?
Ambient and rh and temp in crawl space
Plastic covering crawl space.

Ah, so you going in behind an inspector eh? There is only one reason the flooring is moving.

Grading around house as you pull in driveway
Rain gutters as you walk up to house
Ambient rh and temp in house (using a professional grade thermohygrometer)
Underlayment used, pull floor vent, pin subfloor.
HVAC used? Working?
Ambient and rh and temp in crawl space
Plastic covering crawl space.

Pin the subfloor? Why not just us a non invasive meter in a bunch of places around the room on top of the laminate?

Pin the subfloor? Why not just us a non invasive meter in a bunch of places around the room on top of the laminate?

Sure, but I didn't think you had a non-invasive, I thought you bought a pin meter?

Anyways, I gave you seven and you only asked for five.

Sure, but I didn't think you had a non-invasive, I thought you bought a pin meter?

Anyways, I gave you seven and you only asked for five.

I wasn't the inspector. The guy that was walked around the home and used a non invasive meter and said all was fine if the wall tension was relieved and two 'T' moldings were installed.

...............so I drove down, relieved tension from 3 walls and didn't install the 'T' moldings. :D

However doing so certainly did absolutely nothing to fix what caused the boards to get bigger in the first place.

...............so I drove down, relieved tension from 3 walls and didn't install the 'T' moldings. :D

However doing so certainly did absolutely nothing to fix what caused the boards to get bigger in the first place.

Well, the $hit can only grow so much, then it has to stop. But I have seen it break apart transition strips and rip the snap in track out of mollied concrete and crack ceramic tile hearths that were hacked in with quarter round on them. Not a fan of transition strips in doorways. I have a (hopefully not set in stone) 2,000 foot cork job and there ain't a single T strip going in anywhere.

Well, the $hit can only grow so much, then it has to stop. But I have seen it break apart transition strips and rip the snap in track out of mollied concrete and crack ceramic tile hearths that were hacked in with quarter round on them. Not a fan of transition strips in doorways. I have a (hopefully not set in stone) 2,000 foot cork job and there ain't a single T strip going in anywhere.

Here's the layout ....not to scale. :D

X's mark where laminate is installed.

Red dotted line is where I was supposed to install transitions

Green are the three walls where I relieved pressure.

Purple is where the boards have movement.

............I said "have" movement, .........because I called the customer today and nothing has improved.
4 days should have helped if it was ever going to help.:rolleyes:

Darn, after seeing how tight the boards were to the walls, I though it should have at least made some sort of change.

Small Job layout.JPG

Latest posts

Back