flooring overhangs on a corner, cut edge

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Mathey

I have a corner I'm trying to floor around, my issue is the number of planks I needed to get from the beginning to the where the abutment of that corner is 2 then a small 2 inch piece, meaning I had to cut the groove side off leaving the cut corner exposed. I have two rows in place and was working on the third when I saw this issue. The planks are 7 1/2 inches wide and the corner wall is 14 inches, meaning I have approximately 1 inch hanging over. I wouldn't think I would need to rip cut that entire row, even doing that would still leave a cut edge exposed with no locking mechanism on that long side.

Looking for suggestions on how to tackle this, here are a few pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_5535.jpg
    IMG_5535.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_5537.jpg
    IMG_5537.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
I guess what I would need to do is rip cut the first row to bring the 2 rows even with the corner , anyone have any other ideas.

thanks

That could be your best option if you are only that far in. Sorry it took so long but on my phone I could ot understand your conundrum but home it makes sense.

You might want to check your layout in some other crucial spots as well for you have already learned the hardest lesson in modular flooring.... layout is everything. Let's presume that you don't cause more headaches but moving that starter row in, that is what I would do. Make sure you do not try and hit it dead on, give yourself an inch or so of wiggle room on that hallway rip which is to say if taking 2 inches off you starter row puts you "full board" down the hall, rip another inch off so you are cutting your hall piece. Alternatively you could start along the wall in the hallway and square yourself up and lay backwards into your room.

Thanks Mark, Yes by ripping that first row down I did leave a little extra to allow for a gap along that wall, it looks perfect now. like you said, you need to lay it out ahead of time to plan for these things , I'll know for the next room. thanks again!!!

My next challenge is this, coming down a wall near my door, the door is angled, I know I can cut the laminate along the angle, that's not an issue, there is a small little indention on the wall that goes in and out ( photos attached), I'm not quite sure what to do about that. it's very small, maybe 2 1/2 inches of gap. I can't push the plank under the wall and cut around it . Any thoughts.

Attachments

• IMG_5560.jpg
    IMG_5560.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_5561.jpg
    IMG_5561.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 120
Are you going through that doorway or to the far side of it and stop?
You might have to get creative with that angle. You might be able to cut part of the locking mechanism off of that small angle piece, or off of the full with piece that's on the floor, can use super glue and just drop that triangle into place. You could use a piece of duct tape folded upwards on that triangle and use it as a handle to guide that triangle into place and hold it there till the glue sets up.
Even if you're only going partway into that doorway you should undercut it so the flooring slides underneath.

Latest posts

Back