Flooring pictures

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anybody remember a carpet that was around in the mid to late 70's that was called Candy Striped? It look like the stuff on these stairs. All the colors in the rainbow and like Rusty said, it can mess with your head. The shop we worked for at the time sold the sheet out of it. End seams were a PITA.
Yup, interesting but ugly......... Let me repeat .....butt ugly.:D

We tore out some of that for a doctor in town. Long shag with stripes. His wife said she hated it but had to live with it because it was so expensive........ it was wool carpet.:eek: Wow, even the wool people got into the trend. Anyway, the carpet still looked like new, but after 10 years, the age was a way for her to justify getting new carpet.

Last edited:

We tore out some of that for a doctor in town. Long shag, stripes and made of wool. His wife said she hated it but had to live with it because it was so expensive........ it was wool carpet.:eek: Wow, even the wool people got into the trend. Anyway, the carpet still looked like new, but after 10 years, the age was a way for her to justify getting new carpet.

That carpet was a genius way to get rid of all the left over yarn. Standard Brands always had it.

We tore out some of that for a doctor in town. Long shag with stripes. His wife said she hated it but had to live with it because it was so expensive........ it was wool carpet.:eek: Wow, even the wool people got into the trend. Anyway, the carpet still looked like new, but after 10 years, the age was a way for her to justify getting new carpet.

The stuff I was talking about was a short, SHORT loop, which made it pretty tough on end seams. Ugly, UGLY stuff it was. Why so many people bought it was beyond me.

The stuff I was talking about was a short, SHORT loop, which made it pretty tough on end seams. Ugly, UGLY stuff it was. Why so many people bought it was beyond me.

It was cheap, and they sold it to lumber yards and discount furniture stores. I installed a bunch of it that was rubberback.

:D
I tried to make this relatively simple to understand............ photos tell more than drawings, so here's a few from the job I just completed. Now you can whoop one of these out next time a customer requests a flush mount stair nose. ;)
First, the competed look, then what's happening under the floor to allow the nose to move along with the rest of the floor.

I cut out a section of plywood from the original step, then made a couple of new pieces that were shaped in a hockey stick configuration so I that could glue the boards and nose as I wanted. These new pieces of plywood were cut about 3/4 of an inch narrower than the space they were fitting into to create a 3/8" space on either side to allow the floor to expand or contract.

Next are photos of the slots in the movable plywood section with the screws and washers in different positions, showing how far the floor can slide if it expands or contracts. The nose and first plank are glued to the board when it is in the centered position........ then it has 3/8" movement forwards or backwards, and a little but sideways if needed.

The screws are not tightened "tight" They are snugged up loosely .....just enough so that the washer can still be moved with your finger without binding. This will allow the plywood to slide horizontally, but not lift up and down if the nose warps or someones toe catches the nose while going up onto the step.

The last image has an added drawing of a section of the nose and first plank where they were glued to the movable sections of plywood.

FH000004 Completed opposing view_filtered 800.jpg

FH000006. Centered position 900.jpg

FH000006. All three positions_filtered 900.jpg

FH000013 Slip board 2_filtered  drawing of nose3PS with text and arrows 900.jpg

Last edited:
Here's how the joint ended up. There was no flush mount nose available for this flooring, and not enough width on the lats plank to create a splined or T&G fit. This was the only option. Everything was glued together, so it didn't really matter.

FH000018. Rabbit joint_filtered 800PS.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent work there High. You should repost that so the mods can sticky it for people to see and find easier than it being buried in this thread.

Anybody remember a carpet that was around in the mid to late 70's that was called Candy Striped? It look like the stuff on these stairs. All the colors in the rainbow and like Rusty said, it can mess with your head. The shop we worked for at the time sold the sheet out of it. End seams were a PITA.

Pretty sure our union apprenticeship for carpet uses CANDY STRIPE carpet for their Journeyman Test. I remember in '87 when I got in they wanted me to take the test. You have to do a flight of stairs with a...........hell, I really don't even know what you guys call that......birdcage/bullnose/rounded nose

then you have to burn a seam and sew multiple seams with all the major stitching styles. I eventually learned to do some basic sewing but that turned me away. I tested out for resilient/cove. So I'm not even pretending to be a REAL carpet layer.

You just looked cross-eyed at that stuff and it unravels and fall to shreds

yeah, the low, level loop was what our school STILL uses

cross seams are a bitch and they want them HAND sewn to this day...........

as if!

Excellent work there High. You should repost that so the mods can sticky it for people to see and find easier than it being buried in this thread.

You're saying the photos and explanation makes sense? I never know if what I write comes across in the way that describes things as I intend.
You do mean to repost it as a sticky with a copywrite symbol on each photo, right? ;)

A couple of other things to take note on. I installed the floor muffler pad under the movable joint to maintain the correct height.
I also added a sheet of heavy black plastic to aid in the movement of the movable joint.
............maybe it's not needed, but what the heck. I'm the king of overkill so I do what the little voiced tell me to do. :D

One more thing with the black plastic, you need to be careful that the movable joint maintains it's centered position when you glue the pieces in place. The plastic makes it much more slippery.
The washers have a rounded side and a sharper cut side. Put the smoother, rounded side against the wood.

MSP floor layering with descriptions 1000.jpg

FH000024 with plastic_filtered.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back