Flooring transition question.

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been editing my comments so you might want to read them again. Sometimes it's hard to make things clear.
And when you cut out that little notch it's usually best to stop your cut before the two lines intersect. You can usually wiggle that piece out and break it off if you're careful. All those door trims are slightly rounded on the edges. You can use a triangle file to finish performing the corner where there's two lines intersect on your molding. If you cut it square, point to point, you have a tiny gap.

If you've already cut one piece and have a scrap that's too small and of no use, use that as a test piece to see how close you can make it fit. It's always better to do a trial run with a scrap piece.
Solid advice. I had to re-read it a couple times, mainly because it takes a minute for my brain to start firing correctly in the morning. That seems like it should be fairly simple. I may give this method a shot and not worry about cutting any more from the jambs. Thanks for the advice.

Solid advice. I had to re-read it a couple times, mainly because it takes a minute for my brain to start firing correctly in the morning. That seems like it should be fairly simple. I may give this method a shot and not worry about cutting any more from the jambs. Thanks for the advice.
I use the microphone on my Android to do most of my typing.
For some reason on this website, when I speak into the microphone and the words are printed out, everything looks fine. When I post my comment and look at it I can't even tell what I was trying to say sometimes. My phone is evil, it hates me.
So anyway as I reread my comment I see a wrong word or two wrong words that have nothing to do with what I was talking about and I correct them..... Then I find another.
I'm thinking it might be easier to just type them than go back and do the corrections. 😁

I use the microphone on my Android to do most of my typing.
For some reason on this website, when I speak into the microphone and the words are printed out, everything looks fine. When I post my comment and look at it I can't even tell what I was trying to say sometimes. My phone is evil, it hates me.
So anyway as I reread my comment I see a wrong word or two wrong words that have nothing to do with what I was talking about and I correct them..... Then I find another.
I'm thinking it might be easier to just type them than go back and do the corrections. 😁
Ha. Yeah, that's why I don't even bother with the voice capture stuff. Sometimes if you speak really slowly and clearly it works great. I know it doesn't work so great with a Southern accent. Even when you think you are talking clear, it will change the word to something totally different. Way too frustrating for me personally. It sure would be nice and convenient if it were a little more accurate. I laugh at my Mom, because she has the voice capture feature on her car radio, and she ends up very frustrated when it won't work for her. I tell her, you could have dialed and been talking by now instead of arguing with the radio. Lol

I tend to find it works terrible on this website. I make a lot of comments on YouTube and not so much issues. Words and sentences get so scrambled up sometimes that I can't even correct it because it gets so crazy that I can't remember or reassemble what I was talking about. 😁

If you want to get fancy, they sell a tool that has little pieces of plastic almost like a comb and you press it against something you want to cut around and then tighten a screw to hold the shape and then transfer the shape on to wood to cut it out. I have one but I can't remember the name of it. I think it's called a contour measuring tool.
1628631985567.png

But it might just be easier to undercut.

They show that tool A lot of times on YouTube advertising. They don't tell you that it may make the shape you want, but once you press that against the door casing to make the contour, you still have to place that tool accurately on the material that you wish to cut. If you don't line it up exactly where wanted it to the cut will be off centered and out of square with your workpiece.
For small areas a piece of poster board works really well to make a pattern.
Undercutting speeds up the job, makes it neater, and makes it easier anyway.

Last edited:
I agree, Google and Siri are no better.
So funny just watching that guy on TV that was Indian and he was talking about how Siri does not like accents.
He asked Siri to call his sister or a relative that had a very "Indian" name.
Siri replied:
There are five 7-Elevens near your location. 😁

Highup, I figured you would have to make sure they are lined up perfectly-- which is why you would probably want to make a template of some sort but the tool could help with transferring marks to a template if you use it correctly. But yeah, undercutting seems like the best option.

Highup, I figured you would have to make sure they are lined up perfectly-- which is why you would probably want to make a template of some sort but the tool could help with transferring marks to a template if you use it correctly. But yeah, undercutting seems like the best option.
You can make a very accurate template using poster board. Rough cut a notch in a piece of poster board so it fits around a door casing. Relatively close, is good enough. Tape the posterboatd to the floor so it can't move.
Cut up some strips or squares of posterboard one or two inches long and an inch or so wide. You use these strips to fill in the square notches in the door casing.
Your initial piece of poster board is simply your base. Slide the little square pieces of poster board against the casing so they conform to the shape. Keep adding pieces, one over the other until it looks nice and neat and no floor is visible. You might need to trim or fine tune the pieces with scizzors to fine tune each piece.
You can use regular masking tape, hot glue, or whatever to adhere the pieces onto the large piece .
I've used this method before to accurately fit wood trim to a door casing.
I also use this method once using poster board for my entire pattern to cut out some commercial carpeting. This is for one of our local pilot tugboats. It was a u-shaped walkway on the main level that went around the engine room. It had to be fit tight to some angle iron which formed the base for the walkway. It was only like two and a half feet wide and the floor had a crown. They had just repainted the engine and the walkway and there's no way you could drop a piece of carpet in place and then start cutting and trimming it. It had to be patterned and I discovered that poster board was ideal for this job. Sometimes you've got to get creative..... think outside the box.

casing

Last edited:
I suppose cardboard can be used if there is no posterboard. I don't keep posterboard around but I have a bunch of old amazon boxes. LOL.

I actually saw a very cool trick on how to transfer a curve by using a pen/pencil (in the video they used a marker) and a washer. They put the tip of the writing utensil in the washer and ran it along the wall to get the shape. Pretty neat.

There were some other useful hacks in there. I don't recall the rake hack in the picture being in it though.

Poster board is cheap, It's relatively thin so you can create smooth edges to draw a line along. That's going to be very difficult with cardboard if you're trying to be accurate.
If your trying to make a template with thick pieces of cardboard and you have to overlap them it isn't going to work. You need a thin material for making patterns. It's cheap if you buy it from Wally World. Art stores will have better stuff, but you don't need that.

Latest posts

Back