Ford van

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floorist

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Pro
My 85 Ford van is giving me problems. The key turns too easy. It no longer releases the shift lever. The shift lever won't move. When you turn the key all,the way to the start position, the lights come on but nothing else. I know on the older models there was a pin in there that could break and cause similar problems. Do I have to pull the steering wheel to see? On the older models, there was a sleeve around the column to access the inside. Does not seem to be one on the 85. Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
I had to replace key cylinder and the actuator on on my 87 F150. It was a real PITA. The key started turning in circles on a Sunday one day. I HAD to have it the next day. Got it all disassembled, found the problem, and put it back together without the cover sleeve or key cylinder. I could start the truck by pressing down on the actuator and stop it by pulling back up. Drove it that way for a few weeks until I got the parts and had time to fix it correctly.

I had to replace key cylinder and the actuator on on my 87 F150. It was a real PITA. The key started turning in circles on a Sunday one day. I HAD to have it the next day. Got it all disassembled, found the problem, and put it back together without the cover sleeve or key cylinder. I could start the truck by pressing down on the actuator and stop it by pulling back up. Drove it that way for a few weeks until I got the parts and had time to fix it correctly.
Did you have to pull the steering wheel?

I'd be glad to ship you mine, but by the time we shipped it back and forth, you could buy one.

"If" you have a few weeks, I was contacted yesterday about an inspection in Muskogee, OK. Have yet to be commissioned for it, but "if" I am, I could drop it off on the way through. "Might" even be able to pull off helping you with it, depending on my schedule.

On second thought, you asked if I had to pull the steering wheel. I did, because I needed a new actuator, as well as a new key cylinder. If you only need a new key cylinder, you shouldn't have to. If I remember correctly, (fat chance these days) the key cylinder has to come out before the column cover will come off to gain access to the actuator.

Went out and snapped a picture showing where the paper clip goes. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 87 Ford Key Switch.jpg
    87 Ford Key Switch.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 189

Latest posts

Back