Furniture Lifter

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeAntonetti

Buying a furniture lifter, what’s available is cheesy. Normally we tilt fridges and washers/Dryers then put Crain’s Skat skates under them. Lifted a heavy hutch, twisted my back, then a jolt, and it goes out.

Attachments

• BDE8FD03-5D7F-4ABA-85BF-7ECF3E377CB4.png
    BDE8FD03-5D7F-4ABA-85BF-7ECF3E377CB4.png
    185.6 KB · Views: 117
Air sleds for appliances. Furniture sliders for everything else. Pry bar will get a hutch up enough to get a slider underneath. No lifting with my back. I don’t have to deal with moving furniture over debris like you do so the sliders work great for me. My buddy used dollies like your skat skates and I hated that shit. Have to lift or tilt the appliances too high then do it again to get them off.

Sometimes we scoot appliances out, demo, grind, then push back without disconnecting plumbing. We can move appliances out of area without them in the way is what I prefer. Going over carpet, then return trip on grinded 30 grit concrete sliders would wear through the pressure points. I’ve used a sprayer to wet slab down cause there’s still dust in the porous slab and the air sled blasts it in the air.

I don’t like the height of the skat skates but no other dolly options. Just ordered two whole sets of wheels, the jackets fell off, noticed cracks in others. Left one set at customers for the island the homeowner picked up with the electrician and the granite cracked around the cooktop. One set at home in garage with a stove on it, and just bought another set from T4F, so 6 sets. I like 4 onboard to just leave on wheels, not take off and on.

Granite is expensive. I broke a piece of glass moving a hutch couple years ago. Maybe $25 for the glass and my time to replace. I make customers empty them completely now. Even the glass shelves. The worst is when they have those old antique wooden wheels. Look at them and they want to break off. I hate moving peoples furniture.

Yeah the glass shelf can have a scratch/chip and a little vibration and it’s over. For granite I check the tops prior to demo in the vulnerable areas( kitchen sink) for cracks. I kinda treat granite rough if I know it’s easily obtainable, uba tuba with an eased edge profile and no caution for me.

customer for hardwood failure is telling me their couch is 12 grand, looks like ordinary cloth to me, typical as I’d walk right by a 5 million dollar painting at habitat. I’d rather not touch it but they say they’ll wrap it, I’ll put it on dollys and treat it like any ole couch.

I haven't yet purchased some of these but they look pretty cool. It will lift something up in order for you to put a slider of some sort underneath something heavy.
This is harbor freight but it's similar to ones I've seen at the hardware store. "Pump It up"
https://www.harborfreight.com/300-l...B5QvSsJfoIwAmBoQ1FdRplwsM9pRrKEAaAgFkEALw_wcBThey're not simply intended for lifting appliances. If you are trying to set a heavy joist or timber into position, one of these inflatables would lift and hold something like that in place so you wouldn't have to.
I saw these four or five years ago, but so far I haven't found an actual need for them. I probably don't move a refrigerator twice a year.

Last edited:
I am aware of those, they’re interesting. A locksmith used a small one to pry window open for latch access. I put round sliders on the oven and leave them there sometimes just to slide it back easily. eBay they’re cheaper than Lowe’s.

I am aware of those, they’re interesting. A locksmith used a small one to pry window open for latch access. I put round sliders on the oven and leave them there sometimes just to slide it back easily. eBay they’re cheaper than Lowe’s.
Funny you mentioned the sliders. I bought some on sale today for 12 bucks they're regularly 20. These are the good ones, called Super Sliders. I didn't have to have them but they're never this cheap.

Back in the day they were rare, customers would always ask where I got them, said to myself I should sell them. These days all types of varieties and almost a full bay at the box stores to choose from. And the 3M monster has the market. Amazing how some people take ideas and make a killing.

I remember when furniture sliders were still in the as seen on tv category. Now I leave a pack with every one of my customers when I’m done using them. The pickle. I factor the $15 into the cost of doing the job.

Back in the day they were rare, customers would always ask where I got them, said to myself I should sell them. These days all types of varieties and almost a full bay at the box stores to choose from. And the 3M monster has the market. Amazing how some people take ideas and make a killing.
When I worked with my grandfather and 1975 and earlier, he had 4, one foot squares of a material that I believe was Teflon. It was fairly stiff but you could bend it as far as you want and not break it. It was 1/8 inch thick just like VCT.
We use them for moving refrigerators traditionally given to guests and appliances out of the kitchen and onto the carpet. It was kind of a pain because you had to hang on to these things as you moved them, so the appliance wouldn't slide off. Hey, they we're slippery on both sides.
.......... Had one of us thought of adhering rubber to one side of it and selling them......
........ Well, you feeling the blanks. 😭

The package came in, I took the plastic off the furniture lifter, the pivot roller slides, gotta read the directions.

the big armoire we tilt back, put wheels under the lower rail, so no lifting needed, then tilt forward and put wheels under back rail keeping legs about an inch off floor. Another entertainment center we did same thing if you have 4 separate casters, they are made of wood before I got skat skates.

Attachments

• CD83E0BD-EFDF-494C-A554-FFDF9ACDC835.jpeg
    CD83E0BD-EFDF-494C-A554-FFDF9ACDC835.jpeg
    147.5 KB · Views: 106
  • 447713A2-6FD6-4273-B17F-ACAE392D1CB9.jpeg
    447713A2-6FD6-4273-B17F-ACAE392D1CB9.jpeg
    120 KB · Views: 107
Sometimes we scoot appliances out, demo, grind, then push back without disconnecting plumbing. We can move appliances out of area without them in the way is what I prefer. Going over carpet, then return trip on grinded 30 grit concrete sliders would wear through the pressure points. I’ve used a sprayer to wet slab down cause there’s still dust in the porous slab and the air sled blasts it in the air.

I don’t like the height of the skat skates but no other dolly options. Just ordered two whole sets of wheels, the jackets fell off, noticed cracks in others. Left one set at customers for the island the homeowner picked up with the electrician and the granite cracked around the cooktop. One set at home in garage with a stove on it, and just bought another set from T4F, so 6 sets. I like 4 onboard to just leave on wheels, not take off and on.
I've often used Masonite to slide furniture on. I also use it sometimes underneath my seams like I'm doing with my woven carpet at the golf resort.
I buy a sheet of 1/8 Masonite or tempered hardboard if you want to be politically correct, and have the lumber yard cut it into three, 16-inch strips. If you have four strips you can slide furniture on them laying them out like train tracks. Once you get to the end of the first set you'll slide right onto the second set. Once you get to the end of the second set you take the first set and put them in front of the second set,
.........then rinse and repeat. It works great because you don't have to lift things onto a set of rollers. These work really well if you have height issues. Most everything slides really easy on Masonite.

Latest posts

Back