Glue assist installation

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexR

Hello all!
I’m going to install 3-1/4” hardwood oak floor (over OSB subfloor) and to minimise any squeaking I want to do full cover glueing with Bona 851R in addition to nailing. Perhaps I’m overdoing it, but I really want to minimise potential squeaking in the years to come. My question is: is it okay to walk on the floor while I’m installing it? On the one hand, the glue can be used in addition to nailing. On the other hand, it asks not to walk on the floor within one day of installation. I’m confused. I would really appreciate any advice :)

It is my non-expert opinion that if this was only a glue down flooring, you would need to heed the advice to let it set before walking on the flooring. Since you are gluing AND nailing, you should not get much movement, but I would try to limit walking on the flooring as much as possible in any case.

If there's an area you need to be walking back and forth across, you might take a 2 ft or 3 ft square of 3/4 in plywood and glue some carpet padding to the underside. Using staples might be risky because if they aren't setting deep they might scratch your brand new floor.
Use that board to kneel on or use it as a stepping stone if the adhesive is still wet. That will spread your weight out.

Latest posts

Back