Glue residue on concrete slab

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cluelessnj

I was original considering engineered hardwood but I've been thinking about porcelain "wood" planks. I had a laminate parquet floor that was glued to the slab. Now, there is glue residue. I've been told by some installers that they'd try scraping the glue.
Another told me that wouldn't work, the surface would have to be roughed.

Yet another one, told me that he'd put a moisture barrier over the glue, then tile over that.

Can anyone tell me if any of these remedies is correct?

Anything that needs to be adheared to the surface can have a problem sticking to old adhesive residue. You can get a diamabrush on a buffer that will take off old adbesive residue and it will also scarify up the surface. Or float the engineered over top with the underlayment/vapor retarder.

So, if I want to float the engineered floor, I don't have to worry about flatness, if I use the padding/underlayment?
I thought flatness was an issue for engineered or tile. I was wondering if a self leveler would also be needed.

So, if I want to float the engineered floor, I don't have to worry about flatness, if I use the padding/underlayment?
I thought flatness was an issue for engineered or tile. I was wondering if a self leveler would also be needed.

Every particular type of flooring has some very specific MINIMUM set of standards for installation.

In my house and as a professional I have very little interest in MINIMUM standards.

Ernesto's advice is sound. All flooring will perform best over flat, dry, clean, structurally sound substrates free of dust, dirt, grease, paint,.......blah, blah, blah......COMMON SENSE.

Without very detailed descriptions of the substrate no one can answer the questions you pose. Sometimes you need a self leveler. Sometimes you don't but you need to go very specifically by the substrate you start with and the finished flooring product you select.

As ingonito states flatness is a different standard than adhearing to different adhesive residues. One should not mix the up two.

Since I'm not getting consistent information from installers, I don't know who is qualified to do the job. So, if I know, beforehand, exactly what needs to be done, I can make an educated decision. Right now, I'm not sure what needs to be done. I've gotten ridiculously high estimates from installers who were simply going to try to scrape the glue off the concrete, then lay the tile. I can't seem to find any competent contractors in my area for tile.

Where at ? I'm in NJ also .

I spoke to you about wood but now I'm considering tile. With all the potential problems with wood ebcause of the slab, I thought tile may be anceasier route but nobody seems to know what they're doing.

Floating wood is easier than tile. Or you can do a floating plywood substrate over the concrete and then nail any wood solid or engineered to that.

I spoke to you about wood but now I'm considering tile. With all the potential problems with wood ebcause of the slab, I thought tile may be anceasier route but nobody seems to know what they're doing.

There's going to be PLENTY of excellent tile installers available in New Jersey. I guarantee it. OK, that doesn't mean there's not a challenge to screen out the Bozos.

Just because they charge a lot doesn't mean they're any good. But it's a start. FOR SURE the quality guys simply will not generate cheap bids. They know what it takes. So they're going to try to get paid fairly.

You really need to use your friends, family, neighbors and co-workers as a resource to find competent mechanics. That's what I've always been able to do. The guys who done the roofs all down the street and everyone is happy.....20, 30, 40 years later.

Call HIM. Nine times out of ten he's still there or his sons, daughters, cousins, nephews. I like LOCAL family businesses with multiple generations. Try it. You'll like it. Sometime you pay more. When they're done I've almost always been a happy camper.

Same goes with auto mechanics, stucco, electrical, plumbing, landscape, painters..........

It's a hassle to hire contractors. Believe we all HATE paying them. But it's a part of life you're not going to be able to avoid any more than going to the dentist.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back