Got this phone call today

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarisMulkin

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Pro
I got this phone call today from some dude named Randy from out west somewhere. Anyway he had some questions on some woven carpet. Stairways and what have you. Must have talked to him maybe 30 minutes. I sure hope I was able to answer his questions. But I was thinking about one he had concerning the ends of steps that had the nose cut off and he wanted to wrap over the edge. Thinking about it I wonder if those step could have binding put on and then just bend the carpet over and tack it without having to turn and tack which would be a real pain in the butt trying to do with woven. So if Randy or whatever his name is , is listening maybe that would be the answer.

Nice talking witth you Randy

Daris

Listening? You are typing and expect me to hear it? You must be typing this on a 1972 Smith Corona.:D

Here's a better description if I wasn't clear. The carpet will be upstairs and down the stairway.
This sketch is looking at the open end of a couple of steps from the downstairs hallway. I think the last 5 steps look like this on the right side of the stairway, and the three left sides of the steps are open like this too. From there on up, it just walls, so not a problem there.
These tread ends you are looking at used to extend 3 inches out into the hallway, but they are now cut off flush with the pine boards.

Saunders Lake stair profile.jpg

So here's what I am thinkin'
The first is a see through version and between the two versions, I'm hoping this makes sense.
I'm thinking just put a skirt board on the hallway wall so I have something to finish against.
The only trick would be how to end this skirt board on the upper and lower ends so it looks nice from the lower hallway. The pine boards on the walls are natural, not painted.
They plan a new railing, and possibly custom made of metal construction.
I'll look at that option tomorrow when I do one bedroom with some 'normal' but patterned unwoven carpet.
Nice talking to a guy who's been around the block a few times. Thanks Daris, you're full of it.
....information that is. ;)

Saunders Lake stair profile pink skirt.jpg

Saunders Lake stair profile Pink skirt solid.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back