Grouted LVT Oops

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McBrides

Last week we laid Adura tile in an add-on kitchen. That floor was full of crowns and twists and it was a fight to keep my lines straight. Dave started grouting while I was still cutting in. The tile was dark brown tones, and the customer has chosen a light coloured grout to match their countertops. The contrast looked like hell. The grout colour did look even lighter than the sample on the colour chart in the lighting of the room.

Shoulda stopped. We didn't, we finished grouting. So we were back this past Thursday to regrout with a darker colour. It was like painting over a black wall. Took up to four times in some spots, even with leaving the gout on a little longer to set up than usual. We didn't charge for the return trip.

Lesson learned, but I wish they would stick to the recommended grout colours. In future, I will get customer approval once a test area has been done before we proceed to finish.

We should have stopped grouting at the outset. We were paid well for that job, so we were just being team players. We received a nice tip for doing it, though.

all of my adura experiences have been groutless--i cant say im looking forward to the pleasure---to make matters worse i dont do ceramic so i dont have any real experience with grout of any kind---any tips?

all of my adura experiences have been groutless--i cant say im looking forward to the pleasure---to make matters worse i dont do ceramic so i dont have any real experience with grout of any kind---any tips?

First, if you are setting up for a grouted install, use spacers. Some like to use pieces of vct, but I prefer the rubber spacers, which will compress somewhat on unlevel floors. I keep three sizes on hand, 1/16th, 1/8th and 3/16ths, which I use most often. Don't leave them in the floor, but move them as you go.

The grout is a pre-mixed acrylic base, and it sets up very fast. (Both manufacturers buy from the same source.) Only grout about a yard at a time until you are used to working with the product. I use a conventional grout float, only press the grout into the joints, don't cover the whole tile, making sure not to leave too much excess grout on the surface. Moisten with a spray bottle of water, then use a 3M type scouring pad to loosen the excess grout. Use two wash buckets, the first for the initial wipe with a cellulose sponge, and the second for the last wash using a separate sponge or cloth. I have recently started using a microfibre cloth for my last wash, which pulls the residue off nicely. I hear the microfibre also works well for portland and epoxy grout washes, too. Change your wash water often, and don't dump it in a sink in the customer's house, but somewhere outside. (I once saw a job where the installer's helper dumped the wash water into a bathtub and didn't rinse it out thoroughly, leaving a permanent residue on the tub.)

Hope this helps.

is there an upgrade in the sf price for this?the first couple of times must been a night mare

The Ontario rate for grouted tile is usually $0.50/sf higher than to butt joint them. Then 20% higher for a diagonal install. We now just get a work order with labour specified and a total at the bottom; I know the piece rate we are getting is good, but couldn't tell you what it is.

I had previous ceramics training, but grouting LVT is very different. It has been so long since I started working with it, I can't remember being anxious about it.

im sure im off base here but it almost sounds like a caulking more than a grout---that only makes it seen more chalenging

Latest posts

Back