Halex Powerhold or whatever they are called now

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highup

Will work for food
Supporting Member
Pro
I have seen this years ago and came upon it recently once more.
The shop had 5 pcs of 4x5 underlayment in stock. More would arrive in 3 days, so not a problemo.
I had some from batch 1 leftover and installed it, then installed a piece from the new batch next to it. :eek:
This stuff retails for about $38 per sheet and the quality control is out to lunch.
Here's batch 'a' stapled next to batch 'b'. From the stamps/markings it's obvious they were not the same run, let alone the same plant.
It took 3 layers of Aquabar-b felt under the thinner batch to bring it almost up to the height (thickness) of the second batch. CD plywood has thickness tolerances closer than this.:rolleyes:
On top of that, the width was not the same. I have a piece here at the house that's a full 32nd over 4 feet wide. The difference in length was like 5' 3/8" on one batch and 4' 11 7/8" or 4' 11 15/16" the other........ I don't recall the exact amounts.
How come no quality checks on this spendy underlayment? Surface quality is top notch. Size and thickness varies. I've seen this before, years ago.

0117161632-00.jpg

Last edited:
When there is that type of difference in the height Hi , I use Tar parer .
30 lb to 15. is a perfect feather .

I'm referencing to the quality control or lack thereof. That's about twice the thickness of a business card. Halex want's you to sand the seam edges flat instead of using filler, which is what I do. That would be a heck of a lot of sanding. Even 1/2, 5/8 or 3/4 inch AC or CC plywood doesn't vary that much.

3 layers of Aquabar B would be about .018" That's a lot of variance for 1/4" underlayment type plywood. 3/8 difference is length is even stranger.
The plywood say "Premium Underlayment" on it with the Halex/Powerhold stapling pattern on it. I'm assuming now that Halex changed to Powerhold and now Powerhold won't put their name on it............. great product aside from dimensional issues.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back