Hardness Scale

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floorist

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Pro
Wood hardness scale.

scale.jpg

Find one that has native mesquite. It is running 2345 ish on the hardness scale and mesquite is 150% as stable as Brazilian cherry. Price some mesquite out some day.

Should be noted this scale does not apply to engineered hardwood that has a different species of wood under the top lamella such as the commonly used Baltic birch.

Yeah, but that only means it could be either harder or softer. The process of making engineered has the natural effect of creating a harder overall product unless we're talking about a .5 mm veneer over something super soft. Those types of products, however, are really outliers. For the most part, if you're dealing with 2 mm and greater veneers and a decent core, there isn't going to be much variance at all in the indentation characteristics of an engineered versus a solid. I think the main reason the caveat about Janka not applying to engineered is because engineered can be damn near anything. It's a catchall term for anything that isn't one ply. Solid, on the other hand, is just solid. It speaks more to the inherent complexities involved in trying to wrangle all of "engineered" into a single definition than it does to anything broader.

Yeah, but that only means it could be either harder or softer. The process of making engineered has the natural effect of creating a harder overall product unless we're talking about a .5 mm veneer over something super soft. Those types of products, however, are really outliers. For the most part, if you're dealing with 2 mm and greater veneers and a decent core, there isn't going to be much variance at all in the indentation characteristics of an engineered versus a solid. I think the main reason the caveat about Janka not applying to engineered is because engineered can be damn near anything. It's a catchall term for anything that isn't one ply. Solid, on the other hand, is just solid. It speaks more to the inherent complexities involved in trying to wrangle all of "engineered" into a single definition than it does to anything broader.

I insisted that our brand new historical/maritime museum change from solid white oak to engineered white oak in a section of flooring. It's 11 ply material with the top layer being 1/4 inch thick............. no indentations in this one. :D

I have used both of those in woodworking. The walnut stinks when cut and is very difficult to use.
The crummy thing about black walnut is how it bleaches out. Most exotics get more color when exposed to sunlight. Walnut does the opposite. Its weird, you can jump on old, bleached out walnut with an edger and it's nice and dark right underneath.

Latest posts

Back