Hardwood Buff and Coat

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello I am so happy I found this site. I recently bought a house that has oak, finished on-site hardwood and I am looking to do a buff and coat (no resanding) before moving in. The house was built in 2007 and the hardwood is simply in need of a refresh. I have attached some pictures. The existing finish is an oil-based polyurethane. I have had a few hardwood contractors come in and they seem to all recommend a different approach - oil vs. water poly. I had one contractor claim the BONA Traffic HD is by far the best finish and can be applied over oil giving excellent results. On the other hand, I have had other contractors claim that water over oil results in poor adhesion and cracking down the road and to stick with an oil finish. Can someone help me out on this as I am not sure who to believe? I know that water-based poly has lower VOCs, virtually no odour and dries quicker to allow for a shorter period of time to be away from the house. In my case, I will not be living there for a few weeks. I just want to go with the best solution. Thanks for your help.

Hey wcheaib :)

Hope you are doing good.Your House is very beautiful.I loved it and I wonder it requires a lot of hard work to keep it maintained and cleaned.According to me ,oil and water should not be used as they have a negative impact on the wooden flooring and damage the floors .I suggest that you should use floor cleaning machines like floor buffers as they are easy to sue and saves lot of time.

I've used a Hoover Floor mate for many years and the product works excellent on hard flooring. I use this device numerous times a week because we have 3 dogs and 2 kids. It is fast and easy to use and does a wonderful job on the floors. It is worth it if you have pets and hard surface flooring, I could not go without one of these machines in my home. On a side note, I tried the Hoover Floormate "Edge" and I returned the machine immediately as it is nothing compared to the "Deluxe" model that I have used for years.

Hope this helps you:)

Thanks and Regards
Matthew Morrissey

Latest posts

Back