Hardwood casters vs floor mat

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivan Turbinca

Not sure if this is an acceptable topic here, I won't say anything if it is considered off topic and deleted
I need to buy something to protect my hardwood floor from the rolling chairs that we use when working from home
They are were pretty hard on the previous floor which was junk and I did not even bother to protect it but I could see a circular shape under my chair after like 8 years of siting in the same spot

I am now looking at options to protect the new hardwood floor: mat vs hardwood friendly casters
Which one would you recommend. Honestly I hate the floor mat but I am not sure how effective the casters are -my wife is lighter but I am the heavy one (not fat but over 6' tall and slightly over weighted)
Do these casters wear out ? How long to they need for an average weighted guy?

Those wheels look nice and they could help but if it’s an office space you use daily it WILL still start to show signs of wear sooner than the rest of the floor… Even with their 100% satisfaction guarantee.

Last edited:
You need a caster that is flatter. The more rounded they are, the more focused the transfer of weight to the floor is.

Essentially a flat poly-rubber caster, the wider the better.

Try these:

https://www.amazon.ca/Protecting-Polyurethane-Castors-Standard-8-White/dp/B07TCZ76C7/ref=sr_1_14?keywords=flat+rubber+caster+for+office+chair&qid=1666022093&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIxLjU2IiwicXNhIjoiMC4wMCIsInFzcCI6IjAuMDAifQ==&sr=8-14

The problem with any rolling chair is, that any caster can pick up small bits of grit and dirt. These small pieces of debris can become embedded in the caster and then you're essentially rolling around on a piece of sandpaper. So, if it's my house and I've made the investment in hardwood floors, I'm putting down chair pads AND replacing the casters so that if I roll off the pad, I've got the floor as protected as possible either way.

Good luck with it!

all good points, thank you- I would have loved to pick those but my chairs are IKEA made and those you indicated won't work with them

I like the polyurethane castors. They’re nice and they sure do roll smooth. They also absorb and lessen small bumps. I picked up a set from Harbor Freight for an outdoor credenza I have. Loved em from the get go. Unfortunately the Phoenix heat caused them to deform under the weight of the credenza so bye bye they went for some hard ass wheels that won’t deform.

The problem I have isn’t with the rolling of the castors, it’s with the swiveling of them. Now the castor isn’t rolling across the hardwood, it’s pivoting on the hardwood. Given enough time you will start to develop wear patterns at the frequent pivot points. Yeah it might take a year or three for any wear spots to start to show but they will with enough time and use.

Pivoting, swiveling, round and round we go.

Attachments

• PXL_20220609_011336574.jpg
    PXL_20220609_011336574.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20220609_011256299.jpg
    PXL_20220609_011256299.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back