Hardwood filler

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramgsd

Looking for the best hardwood floor filler. The kind you mix with the sanding dust and skim the floor with prior to the last sanding. Thanks for any input.

Looking for the best hardwood floor filler. The kind you mix with the sanding dust and skim the floor with prior to the last sanding. Thanks for any input.

Elmer's Wood Glue.........drywall mud........pre-mixed filler from a wood flooring supply house........???

I'm NOT a hardwood flooring guy but I was superintendent on 4 large gymnasium sand and refinish/recoat projects this year with 3 different hardwood flooring crews. They all have different ideas, methods, materials and opinions on the process.

One guy said all the pre-mixed versions are based on the same ingredients as drywall mud===gypsum based. Using the wood glue or Elmers is feasible for smaller fills like face nails you punch down or minor defects. Cant picture skim coating with it. It's very sloppy.

We use to use Elmer's Wood Glue , and the saw dust when i did the Bowling alley's.

If you are installing unfinished Hardwood you may want to look at this Link.

http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/inffloor/infwoodfloorfiller.html

That's a very good article Nick.

"Latex filler is made of clay, calcium carbonate, wood fiber, universal colorant, water and some kind of binder."

I think the guy who was telling me it's all drywall mud MEANT this sort of product he just didn't really understand the composition. He just went to the store, bought it and used it as we all tend to do most of our careers without always knowing so much about what's what.

That's a very good article Nick.

"Latex filler is made of clay, calcium carbonate, wood fiber, universal colorant, water and some kind of binder."

I think the guy who was telling me it's all drywall mud MEANT this sort of product he just didn't really understand the composition. He just went to the store, bought it and used it as we all tend to do most of our careers without always knowing so much about what's what.

Thanks In.

Latest posts

Back