Hardwood flooring router bits

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What in Gods name are you talking about? Please be more specific and we may be able to better help you. Why are you using a router for anything? There's really no reason a DIYer would need any sort of router bit to do flooring.

Have you never installed an inlay? A router is required on the "groove" side of the "box" to which you are wrapping around an inlay row since you most likely will be cutting that off "square" with a circular saw removing the factory groove. I'm not a professional, but this is an easy job with a router, a good tongue-and-groove bit set, a biscuit joiner (for the mitered corners), and a few common tools.

You're not a professional but your user name is technical flooring master? Seems legit. No, a DIYer should not attempt inlays. They should hire a pro.

Sent from my HTC One using Flooring Forum mobile app

You're not a professional but your user name is technical flooring master? Seems legit. No, a DIYer should not attempt inlays. They should hire a pro.

You might be able to convince the average, "I have no skills" homeowner of this, but there is nothing complicated about making an inlay... either a pattern inlay, or a border inlay, that would require a Pro... I've seen "pros" eff up jobs worse than a DIYer, like the flooring that a "Pro" installed in the house prior to me buying it, where he only nailed down every other row, didn't bother to pull the rows and ends tight, and couldn't be bothered to square off transitions thinking that 87 degrees is "close enough"...

Or the electrician who continued connecting devices past the built in smoke detectors so without me tracing out each circuit, I would have gotten fried replacing a light switch that was now "dual powered" through the dual circuitry of the smoke detector...

Basic knowledge of geometry and a couple hundred dollars worth of tools is all it takes... well, and some practice, but that is true of any skill...

And, I named my account "Technical Flooring Master" because the more complex the project, the more "mastery" as a DIY'er I've achieved...
Tom

Tom,
When I say pro, I mean a "professional". Not a hack poser. You seem to be confusing the two. A tie professional does not take those short cuts. And talk about beating a dead horse, this thread ended months ago. Start a new thread. The original poster is probably looooong gone by now.

You might be able to convince the average, "I have no skills" homeowner of this, but there is nothing complicated about making an inlay... either a pattern inlay, or a border inlay, that would require a Pro... I've seen "pros" eff up jobs worse than a DIYer, like the flooring that a "Pro" installed in the house prior to me buying it, where he only nailed down every other row, didn't bother to pull the rows and ends tight, and couldn't be bothered to square off transitions thinking that 87 degrees is "close enough"...

Or the electrician who continued connecting devices past the built in smoke detectors so without me tracing out each circuit, I would have gotten fried replacing a light switch that was now "dual powered" through the dual circuitry of the smoke detector...

Basic knowledge of geometry and a couple hundred dollars worth of tools is all it takes... well, and some practice, but that is true of any skill...

And, I named my account "Technical Flooring Master" because the more complex the project, the more "mastery" as a DIY'er I've achieved...
Tom

Did you come on here to complain about a pro or what? If so, please start a new thread. And are you sure that it was a pro? Are you sure it wasn't the previous homeowner? Some do a good job, but most I have encountered do a worse job than my 8 year old grandson could do. All we pros have fixed many botched jobs that DIYers have done except that most, like me, won't touch those messes anymore.

I inspected a few that looked like the homeowner did it .

Also a few that the illegals do . They do skip rows of nails through out the hole floor .

Ken , I am the same , not to good at getting my point across typing , i do want to say this. I have been in hardwood flooring over half my life and I have worked with some great installers , just not recently , in fact it's been years , so when I read the original post , I got what he was wanting to do , a little over kill maybe ? Maybe not . Any who , here is this guy that is not in the hardwood floor business , and yet sounds like he is fixing to do a better job then the so called pro I see , and have sanded there dog . . . . Install work every day .

Sent from my iPhone using Flooring Forum

Latest posts

Back