hardwood install: Add a bead of glue just near doorway?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jme3jm

I'm installing 3/4" hardwood oak in my den. Subfloor looks to be some sort of OSB type of 3/4" plywood.
The hallway already has hardwood floor, going right up to the doorway.
I was planning on using a silicone moisture barrier (Roberts, white) underneath the flooring. Under the den is a finished heated basement.

As seen in the first attached image (IMG_0071.JPG), the existing hallway hardwood floor ends with a terminating cross piece (as a visual threshold I guess).

The open end (vertical edge) of this piece is flat (no tongue or groove).
I was planning to install the new hardwood floor right up against this cross piece.
I was planning on leaving an inch or so gap in the moisture barrier (along this piece) and put a bead of glue (urethane based) along this piece where it meets the subfloor. The motive is to minimize risk movement and squeaks.

Does this sound reasonable?

At the other end of hallway is the dining room, whose doorway also has a similar cross terminating piece, and the existing hardwood goes right up against it, as seen in the second image (IMG_0070.JPG).
This tells me it's OK to not have an expansion gap between the hallway and the den (because that's what they did between the hallway and dining room). Sound reasonable?

The glue I was going to use is: LOCTITE PL Premium 10-fl oz Polyurethane Construction Adhesive

let me know if this plan is OK or not

Attachments

• IMG_0071.JPG
    IMG_0071.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0070.JPG
    IMG_0070.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 45
I like to use a slot cutting bit on both the header and the new flooring, then you can run your barrier right up to the transition. the purpose of the header is to eliminate end joints along the open edge, giving a visually appealing edge.

Latest posts

Back