Hardwood Layout

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wcheaib

My GC is about to lay my hardwood and asked how I would like to lay it (1) side to side or (2) top to bottom. I have attached the floor plan with the shaded area showing the rooms that will have hardwood. There is a lower level where the bedrooms are so will have 2 risers going downstairs. Is there a right way to do this? Thanks all.

Attachments

• Hardwood Layout - Option 2.pdf
    175 KB · Views: 213
Thats a tough one. There's no real open area cept in the middle. If you go side to side you get to see the cupping better! ;) Either way I'd start in the middle.

I met with the installer this morning and he was adamant about installing the hardwood in the Main Living Area from front to back, which makes sense to me. In terms of the Bedroom Wing, I have a fairly narrow hallway of 5' decreasing to 4' between both bedrooms. If this was a stand alone area, I would simply run the hardwood from side to side (i.e. from Bedroom 1 to Bedroom 2). But if I'm looking at this with the Main Living Area where the hardwood runs from front to back, can I switch it to side to side or will this look choppy? Or should I simply run front to back similar to the Main Area? Thanks again for all your input.

Attachments

• Hardwood Layout.JPG
    Hardwood Layout.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 226
After reviewing it again, I think your installer is right. And since there is a step up to the bedrooms I'd switch it. Maybe he could do some fancy design at the steps.

Ernesto - Hardwood is in. What do you think? Hopefully next week we sand and stain.

Attachments

• hardwood 6.jpg
    hardwood 6.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 175
  • hardwood 5.jpg
    hardwood 5.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 189
  • hardwood 4.jpg
    hardwood 4.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 193
  • hardwood 3.jpg
    hardwood 3.jpg