Hardwood or laminate or ?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Engelhardt

We are going to be selling our house in the next couple of years. It's a split level we had built back in 1986. I'd like to do something about the floors in the living room and dining room. Which type of floor would add value to the house? It has the original carpet down right now. I'm not after the easiest - I'm after whatever will help the house sell faster and for more money. The subfloor is pressed wood. I'm willing to remove that and replace it if I have to in order to install hardwood. (Of course on that count - I'd much rather not have to do that). I have installed hardwood flooring already & have all the equipment for that.

What Dan said is true however picture two identical homes.
One of them has cat peed carpet and the vinyl has gouges scratches and dings in them.
The other house has some newly installed high-end engineered wood floor or a vinyl product such as Cortec.
If you had cat peed carpet in a house and damaged flooring a house might sell for $175,000.
Now let's say you put $10,000 worth of new flooring in the home and the home was clean fresh and updated. Maybe this house will be worth $225,000.
If someone looked at the first home and then saw a nearly identical home that was maintained, and had a more modern and high quality flooring in it, you would sell your house long before the dilapidated one with the cat piss.
I'm sure if you look on the internet there are places that will tell you where to spend the money for resale value. I believe kitchens are a top priority....... Although they are very expensive to remodel or redo the payback is good.
An example is spending $20,000 on a new kitchen and it raises the value of your house $30,000. I'm just making these numbers up but do some Google searching and I'm sure there are places that will tell you the most important parts of the house to remodel to improve the value of the home.
You might call A realtor and ask them the most important part of the home to refurbish or renew.

Latest posts

Back