Hardwood removal

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Monfils

Professional
Pro
I have a good sized living room of hardwood to demo. It is glued down engineered over plywood with radiant heat.
In 30 years I have never had to demo glued down hardwood ( except for a couple of plank replacements)
Almost all of the hardwood I have ever installed, has been over a wood substrate or if it was concrete , it was floated
I’m guessing I’m in for a treat o_O
I have a small demo hammer and another larger one I can borrow. I also have a Marshalltown floor stripper I can use ( the one in the pic ) though I don’t know if it will make a dent in the demo.
Please share any advice or possibly a tool I could rent to make this process easier .
I am going to look at the job tomorrow I think it is approximately 600 sq. ft.

Also what would be a fair price for demo?
I was thinking between $1.50- $2.00 / sq.footView attachment ImageUploadedByFlooring Forum1517442664.823733.jpg

I would charge more then that for removal over radiant heat.. there are so many different systems out there , You won't know what you are up against till you remove a few boards .. Good Luck.. Never did one to advise ..

Bet its more than twice the prices you mentioned.
......unless they used a vinyl trowel. :D
After tearout, you're gonna have a huge amount of floor prep.
Dust control............ it's gonna be messy. Maybe you'll have to run a saw cut every 4 inches crossgrain on the floor just so a mechanical scraper can remove it.
I'd run not walk even if I had the tools especially if you set a price. Go fishin.

Latest posts

Back