hardwood stair tread repair

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Techmaniac

I have hardwood running up the stairs of my house, and a few of the bullnose pieces on the edge of the treads are pulling away. The house is only 9 years old (if that matters). What's the best way to repair?

I was thinking of wood glue in the gaps and driving finishing nails from the risers edge to secure the glue job. That seems kind of sloppy though, and I'm sure there are other ways.

20150116_003827[1].jpg

20150116_003811[1].jpg

That's why using just flooring & stair nosing for stair treads is nvr a good idea!! Need to use an actual stair tread that is 1 1/16" thick and all glued together. Looks like the riser was cut tall enough. Need to take that nosing up & cut a shim to get it the exact height so the nosing is level, then use construction adhesive to glue it down. Possibly a spline if the tongue & groove aren't locked together. Then some finish nails & color putty.

I have hardwood running up the stairs of my house, and a few of the bullnose pieces on the edge of the treads are pulling away. The house is only 9 years old (if that matters). What's the best way to repair?

I was thinking of wood glue in the gaps and driving finishing nails from the risers edge to secure the glue job. That seems kind of sloppy though, and I'm sure there are other ways.

Is the piece under the nosing in the first picture supposed to be scotia/cove molding or was it originally attached to the bullnose? If the bullnose can be removed do so and reattach with construction adhesive and for best results use trim head screws through surface (assuming no access to underside). As other poster suggested shim between bullnose and riser if there is a gap. Also good idea to spline bullnose to abutting board if possible. If nothing can be removed then glue in the joint between bullnose and abutting board and trim head screws to secure bullnose.....space them uniformly and plug or wood filler for good match or contrast.

Last edited:
I pulled of the quarter round and found that there isn't room to simply knock some shims into place. I'm going to have to take the bullnose piece off and place a piece of wood on top of the attached flooring on the riser (see pics).

Looks like I'm going to have to follow Elite's idea and pull up and attach a block to the top of the riser attached boards, then reattach the bullnose.

20150119_141659.jpg

20150119_141711.jpg

Latest posts

Back