Hardwood/Tile Issue when remodeling. HELP

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lookin' great. What did the wood floor guys think of your progress? Did he see it early on as you were just beginning?

They were impressed that I competed the project myself lol. Here's an update after the first sand in the living room...

IMG_20171223_104630.jpg

IMG_20171222_133002.jpg

IMG_20171222_133005.jpg

I just came by to check out the refinishing progress and some of the areas where they filled the wood looks pretty noticeable. If it's the way it's gonna be, then it's fine. Just want to make sure these guys are doing it right. Here's a close up...

IMG_20171226_181817.jpg

Last edited:
Wait till they coat it , A gloss finish will magnify it .. They didn't trial the hole floor with a matching color ?

Well we want to go with a natural water polyurethane finish, no gloss. Which will soon be applied. They said that the filler that's being used is specifically for red oak floors and is pretty much as good as it gets. Here's another photo that was taken after wiping a damp cloth over the floor. Was told this will be a good idea of what to expect. You'll need to zoom in to see the holes filled.

IMG_20171212_154053.jpg

Wait till they coat it , A gloss finish will magnify it .. They didn't trial the hole floor with a matching color ?
They make those felt tip markers for coloring scratches.............. how many holes are there? :eek:
Do they make fillers that match closer or does a person resort to making a custom colored filler when there isn't something that's close as one would like?

They make felt tip markers for coloring scratches, and crayons .. They do look a little lite .. I would hold back some money till they finish ..

There's probably about 800 sq feet of wood flooring which has a couple thousand holes all together. Maybe more. The bedrooms have the most holes. The filler is a little light, however it's only noticeable when looking for it. Especially when adding furniture. The floor still looks beautiful. The floor guys said if we choose to stain, it will look much less noticeable, however we really like the natural finish with no stain best. Even with the filler.

They did say it needs to be sanded twice more with a fine sander, which may knock out 5-10% of the filler. Afterwards they'll go over those by hand with a different filler that won't be noticeable at all. He said that they won't be able to use that throughout the whole floor since the filler comes in small tubes and has to be put on individually, which to do one hole takes time.

This picture should give us a good idea of what the floor will look like with the no gloss finish.

IMG_20171212_154256.jpg

Last edited:
Filler should be put in after all the sanding , Except the final screening. That way it doesn't get torn out by the heavy paper . Home Depot sells small jars of wood putty , and stain pens that will blend it in real nice .. If they don't give you any Maintenance instructions post back ..

I guess the way they do it is use the filler that has more of an exact match at the end, prior to the screening on the ones that get torn out. Since the filler with more of an exact match takes time cause they have to take their time on each one and filled by hand. There's probably over 2000 nail holes so it'd be difficult to fill each of those one by one.

I suppose I can use one of the markers after all is done? If I want to take the time.

That is why i asked you if they were going to just trial the hole floor .

The pen is not going to penetrate the finish ..

That is why i asked you if they were going to just trial the hole floor .

The pen is not going to penetrate the finish ..

I see what you're saying. No they aren't. I think it's way too many holes for them to do it that way.

Latest posts

Back