Hardwood to Tile transition

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Tarr

I have a tiled bathroom floor that I would like to transition to an engineered click install hardwood floor in the adjoining bedroom. The height of the tile is about 1/2 inch above the top of the hardwood. I am looking for suggestions on how to do the transition. Is it possible to slope the hardwood up so that it would match with the tile? if so, what would I use under the hardwood to act as the ramp?

Thanks in advance,
Gary

The wood floor could only be raised, not sloped. That would mean installing plywood underlayment prior to installing the wood flooring.
Most every click type floor, or engineered product typically requires that the floor to be extremely flat.... flat to within 3/16" in 8 to 10 feet, so sloping isn't possible. There are solid wood transitions made usually called threshold trim. They are typically about 1/4" thicker or taller than the flooring. Maybe one of those can be installed, butting to the tile, and then of course overlapping the wood floor.

There is a company called Artistic Finishes that makes different profiles and if you know the name and color of your floor, I think they know the proper color match. They have a list of profiles on their site.
It would be cheaper if you can find a leftover piece from a local flooring store.

If the tile edge isn't perfectly straight, you could leave an 1/8" gap between the tile and reducer trim, the fill it with a flexible color matching grout caulk.

You said 1/2" height difference. In the 7/16" profiles, look at #041
You would want to trim off the groove, and you could even narrow the width of the trim as much as needed.
If the wood is oak, a local lumber yard might carry some oak door trim or baseboard that might work.

Quite welcome. Transitions are often a bit custom built or modified a little bit because you sometimes need an exact height and sometimes in width. That's just shimming a tad or shaving off a tad. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back