Having issues with plank subfloor

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc9118

Hello, first time posting here so bare with me. I am putting down new laminate floor in one of the rooms in my house that was built in the 50’s or 60’s. After removing the carpet, there is hardwood floor that was in decent condition but some bad spots. I found that there was no subfloor under this. It is nailed directly to the joists. I was getting a ton of squeaking and creeping upon walking on it. I managed to screw down the planks to as many planks as I could at the joists. The floor feels somewhat more solid, but I am still getting a lot of the same noise. I also feel some of the boards slightly moving when I walk on them barefoot. It seems like they are moving in the middle of the planks where they meet the joists. Will this still be ok to install laminate over or do I have to correct this? I can deal with the squeaks, but am concerned about any bit of movement. Unfortunately I do not have access to underneath the hardwood floor and really don’t want to remove the hardwood plank because it goes under walls into the next room. I’ve attached a picture of the current floor.
7EAFCD43-D53A-4094-A3F9-F920495F0190.jpeg

Depending on how little movement there really is, I would suggest you are ok. It isn't like plywood floors do not move. The laminate will disperse a lot of the pressure from your foot when it is installed and more than likely eliminate the issue. That is the assume that the movement is not that extreme.

Thank you! There really isn’t a ton of movement so I will just make due. Besides putting down baby powder, graphite, talcum, are there any other solutions to fix the squeaking?

Earplugs??

A floor that old would be subject to a lot of fastener movement and engagement movement, so really I do not suppose you will ever eliminate it. You could try screwing it into the joists, but I really doubt that would remedy much of it.

Latest posts

Back