HEEEELP! I have no idea!

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cluelessnj

I am on a somewhat conservative budget. I have been looking at engineered hardwood. However, I don't know if it's laziness or truthfulness but I've been told not to install flooring that requires ANY type of glue-glue down or tongue and groove.
I was told to find a click lock floor. I am looking for something eco-friendly, preferably not made in China with added formaldehyde.

I really don't know anything about the differences in wood species or why that matters. I feel like I'm in over my head but I can't seem to get any help from stores or installers.

I have no basement, so moisture may be a concern as my house is on a slab.

Well I don't know who your talking to but IMO click wood floors are junk. I've never seen a quality one with a decent veneer on top. Plus they can squeak and disengage if the rh gets to low.
I'd say 90% of the wood floors I put in are glued; glued T&G or glued to slab.

As I stated, I don't know if the installers just don't want to be bothered with glueing tongue and groove together. However, my previous floor was glued with Bruce glue and after about 15 years or so, actually started lifting. I think it was laminate-parquet blocks. So, I was told that if there is a possible moisture problem (no one will perform a moistire test for me) then using any type of glue, is a mistake and only click flooring should be used.

It's concrete. I'm on a slab. But I've had 4 installers out for estimates and nobody will do a moisture test. I've asked. I was going to see if I could rent the equipment myself but I have no idea where. I don't know how to ise it anyway.

They're not installers then .

At the very least you can tape a 10x 10 piece of Polly to the floor , wait 24 hr's

and see if there is any condensation under it . if so further testing should be done .

We have the cream of the crop Installers , and Inspectors here. One may be near you if you wanted a pro to do the testing .
Good Luck

Perhaps you should remind these "installers" a moisture test is also required and properly docmented for any floating floor - click or T&G glued floor. As is any glued over concrete. You even need to document a wooden substrates moisture content per any manufacture of a product and or adhesive plus any underlayment for floating floors.
I perform CaCl and insitu tests all the time. At minimum I will do a CME/ph test. These are required not just recommended.

As I stated, I don't know if the installers just don't want to be bothered with glueing tongue and groove together. However, my previous floor was glued with Bruce glue and after about 15 years or so, actually started lifting. I think it was laminate-parquet blocks. So, I was told that if there is a possible moisture problem (no one will perform a moistire test for me) then using any type of glue, is a mistake and only click flooring should be used.
The click type is easier and it isn't messy other than a little sawdust. That's why the guys you talked to said what they said. With the glued together types you might get a little glue oozing up from the seam or on the surface of the wood if you aren't careful to keep your hands clean and glue free. You might also need some ratchet straps to hold the wood pieces tight together as the glue takes set. Maybe one of the guys here can lead you to a video of the process.

I know a guy who lives there............ He makes designer cast concrete shoes. :D
He also knows the humidity swings there. Maybe he'll chime in with that concern. How old is the slab?

Apart from the fact that proper installers they should be able to make a moisture test as part of their service - so they can guarantee the floor was installed following the guidelines of the manufacturer in case you want to have the guarantee of the flooring not voided. So basically they should give a guarantee for a good job well done and then in case of bad flooring the manufacturer should reimburse you but only if the installation has followed their instructions.
Like for example - Quick-Step flooring should not be glued down if you want to keep the guarantee any glue and you void it. So depending of the flooring - read the instructions carefully - big brands have very strict rules. Glued floors are usually the ones that have very small parts - like parquet blocks and then their guarantee is different. Kahrs also have this kind of recommendation - their flooring can have a floating installation with no problem.

Latest posts

Back