Help my wife hates the floors

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tfaykin

So we just bought a house with linoleum covering concrete slab radiant flooring the wife hates these want to pull up linoleum and do something to the floor but we are very in experienced you guys have some suggestions on materials and prep work The wife really love the look of the Apoc. Sea floors but that is quite expensive is there a cheaper way to achieve a poxy floors do they have to be 1/8 in thick

Epoxy floors are not something a beginner or really even an experienced do-it-yourselfer should be doing. There is a lot of pretty extreme floor prep equipment involved and tools involved to do epoxy. Epoxy is typically used in commercial floor coverings but some people do use it in homes as well. It's extremely durable and chemical resistant so it's used in industrial and high-traffic areas such as manufacturing, veterinary clinics, laboratories, and surgical suites. It's also probably one of the more expensive floors / sf on the market.

I'd probably start by doing some google searches for flooring contractors / stores in your area who do epoxy coatings or terrazzo and have them give you an estimate. Again, it's a pretty specialized application even among floor covering installers. In other words, it's not something your typical floor installer does.

For something that has the look of epoxy or terrazzo you're pretty much right back to sheet vinyl, rubber flooring, or linoleum as an alternative.

Good luck with your search and let us know how you make out.

Last edited:
Has a referenced your epoxy coatings I just completed a set of stairs at home and they had one on neatest looking garage floors I've seen. They said it cost about $12,000. A company came from out of town and shot blasted the cement repaired cracks and then put down the coating. They had the floor done because the concrete was so wet they couldn't even put cardboard boxes on it. even though the floor has been coated for a number of years now it looks like brand new.
They did this because of moisture issues not simply for aesthetics.

It's really hard to compare markets such as Indiana and Oregon but in my market epoxy will typically run from $11 - $15 / sf. Specialty applications and site conditions can vary that significantly at times.

I didn't notice the size of the garage. It was a two car size. She showed me the receipt that itemized how much they charged for repairing the cracks for applying the coating and for shot blasting the floor. The type of epoxy they use was intended to eliminate the moisture issue which was severe. I know there are different types of epoxies and I would bet that type is more expensive than other types. I was assisted by a representative from the UZIN company. The epoxy primer that we use underneath their self-leveling concrete was pretty cool stuff. he said they could put that epoxy over concrete that was 3 days old and it would stop the moisture. The product came in two and a half gallon pails. It took two of them for a small job. I'm betting that stuff was not cheap.

So we just bought a house with linoleum covering concrete slab radiant flooring the wife hates these want to pull up linoleum and do something to the floor but we are very in experienced you guys have some suggestions on materials and prep work The wife really love the look of the Apoc. Sea floors but that is quite expensive is there a cheaper way to achieve a poxy floors do they have to be 1/8 in thick
If you are on a tight budget epoxy is out of the question. Many styles and types of plastic (vinyl) flooring is designed to look like natural stone, wood, stained concrete, terrazzo..............probably something that looks similar to epoxy.

Google LVT or "sheet vinyl" and look at all the styles, colors and patterns. That's for sure your cheapest option. In many cases the customers and visitors can't tell the imitation plastic flooring from the genuine products.

Latest posts

Back