Help Reqst'd: Where the Tile Meets the Hardwood

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlarson

Hi Folks, and thanks for putting up with my newbie questions.
We did a total house renovation, down to replacing all floor joists, plumbing, electrical, windows, and roof. The only thing remaining from the original 1949 structure are the four exterior walls. Sounds like fun, huh?

I installed 3/4" T&G OSB as the subfloor throughout. The floor is flat. I plan to install 8" X 8" ceramic tile in the kitchen area. I want to use RedGard decoupling mat. The tile will meet and abut 3/4" hardwood where the tile ends at the kitchen end.

How do I ensure that the tile will be the same height as the hardwood? Should I use a 3/8" notched trowel for the decoupling mat and the tile install in an effort to bring up the height of the tile to 3/4"?

Is it advisable to paint the OSB subfloor with RedGard moisture barrier UNDER the de-coupling mat? I only ask as the potential for H2O entering the kitchen area has me concerned as I live in a place where the H2O accumulates outside the kitchen at times.

Thanks in advance! Rick

Latest posts

Back