Help with 3 layer parquet

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mands

Hi everyone.
I've got this wood floor in my house which I really like but it gives me a lot of headaches. Every time my kids drop something as simple as a lego brick, the floor gets a brand new hole :(
Yesterday I dropped a small table and ended up with a really bad looking mark.
So I decided to come here in search of help, both regarding protection and repairing.
I'm attaching a few pictures of the mark and the floor.
What do you suggest I could use to try to fix the mark or at least make it less noticeable?
And what do you suggest I use to protect the floor? Is there a product I could use to harden it?

Thank you very much.
Kind regards,
Miguel

Attachments

• IMG_0018.JPG
    IMG_0018.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_0019.JPG
    IMG_0019.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_0020.JPG
    IMG_0020.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_0022.JPG
    IMG_0022.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 221
  • 3-Layer Parquet.jpeg
    3-Layer Parquet.jpeg
    256.3 KB · Views: 219
Either way, I can't see much of a fix. If the scuff was top coated, it would be hard to find a matching sheen. If that mark was top coated then buffed, that too would leave a different sheen which would be larger than the mark. Maybe if you could find a finish with the same gloss level, you could use a small fine pointed artist paint brush and fill in the lowest level of the damaged spots. You would need to know if it is an oil or water based finish.

Thank you for your reply!
I believe it is prefinished. The boards in the box already look like the ones on the floor so I guess the boards were only installed and that was it.
In the box it says "sanded and lacquered" in german. What do you suggest I look for? Do you think I could do something like trying to apply a filler and then Bona Refresh to even out the floor?
Thank you very much again.

Yes, I think it is exactly the same. What do you think about using Bona Mix and Fill with some sanded dust and then apply some lacquer? What lacquer would you recommend? I suppose the boards are lacquered as it is mentioned in the box, so I assume I would be able to get a similar lacquer?

Yes, I think it is exactly the same. What do you think about using Bona Mix and Fill with some sanded dust and then apply some lacquer? What lacquer would you recommend? I suppose the boards are lacquered as it is mentioned in the box, so I assume I would be able to get a similar lacquer?
It is going to be extremely difficult to buy the finish with the correct sheen.
I would strongly recommend a person highly qualified or with a lot of experience to let you know if a good repair is possible.
In a factory like where these products are made is night and day from a paint brush or a spray can product .
Factory finishes may be 3 to 7 layers of finish, each cured almost immediately by UV light. Spray, UV light cure then sanding, then spraying again, UV light curing then sanding then spraying..... Over and over as the product speeds down a convare belt.
What I am saying is it's a pretty complex process to mass produce pre finished products. That can't usually be duplicated with a simple DIY fix.
That said, you have additional flooring to experiment with.
A professional might do whatever repairs are possible, then tape off one entire wood section and apply finish to just that one plank. By doing that, it might help disguise the repair. One plank being ever so slightly different might not be all that noticeable. Doing a surface finish repair or recoat on one funky shaped portion in the middle of a plank might stand out more.
Removing that plank and replacing it with another plank might be a better option.......
Honestly tho, only a real pro, seeing this in person could give you your best options.
Tinkering with your extra pieces and some lacquer finishes will tell if you might be able to do this yourself. You know, close enough for your own standards.
Try to somewhat duplicate the damage on a section of your extra or leftover flooring.
Find a lacquer finish close to what you have, the apply it with a small artists brush only into the deeper spots.... not swabbing it on. It may take a few layers for lacquer finishes to build up. Just be careful to only apply it where the grain is damaged.
You will learn quickly if a DIY repair is possible.

If you do attempt a repair, be sure to mask off with heavy paper the surrounding area and close to the repair. You do not want stray drips from your brush to land on the floor.

Thanks a lot for everything!
I think I'll maybe try Bona Mix & Fill with some sanding dust from a similar wood and then some lacquer. What do you think? Do you recommend a lacquer brand/type? What does the sheen look like to you? Maybe silk matt? Matt? Should it be sanded afterwards?

There are 100 shades of white and if you bought a satin finish from 4 different manufacturers, they might all look different. Satin isn't an exact industry finish standard.
One thing to consider is that anything you do will always make the repaired area larger.
The only recommendation I can really give would be to try to roughly imitate the damage on your leftover material. Make 4, 5 or more imitation dents and gouges. Then try different methods and products on each of your spots.
This will be a trial and error project.

Latest posts

Back