Help with existing floor finish-what do I have?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Tea Sip

Wood comparison.jpg
I purchased a home with a large amount of engineered hardwood floors in my main formal living room. (handscraped/wavy finish) and it has a high gloss. I have torn out the adjacent room tile (foyer and kitchen) to extend the flooring, but when I pulled the boards out of the extra boxes left by the previous homeowners, they are not high gloss. It looks like they have treated the floor with a coating that is giving it this sheen. So...if I blend in my new floors (I'd prefer a non sheen) is there a satin or other coating that I can apply to the existing floor to help it match? I think it will be hard to buff the current finish off because it is not a flat surface wood. Is this a common practive to help protect wood from water spills? They had pets that were not toilet trained as seen by the carpets in terrible shape. Advice? The floors are very pretty, and removal and replacement will be about $10,000 that I did not want to spend. I am hoping to tone down the sheen. Or should I "shine up" my new flooring? Thank you. If there is a way to post photos, I can do that. I am new to this forum. Small board on the left of the sample board, and the long board on the right of the sample board are from my existing stock that is the same as the installed floor. The sample was in case we wanted to put wood in the office, dining, etc. Trying to avoid tearing out the living room as we will be moving in a couple of years. Or just put back tile.

Last edited:
Is there a way for you to get up close and personal withe that really edge of the glossy floor to determine what they put on the floor. There is a product called rejuvinate or something like that. I think it's an acrylic wax.
Just saying that it would be manditory to find out what that finish is before attempting anything.

I have a corner or two that I could attempt something. I do not know how you find out what is. I was hoping that someone on this forum might have a trick or tip on how to identify the coating.

I'll see if I can find something on Google to test the surface. Every finish can be emulsified or dissolved. Trick is finding what solvents dissolve acrylic wax and do not affect urethanes, and viseversa.

I found a local hard wood floor man that I sent the photo to. He correctly identified my 15 year old floor by brand, line name and color from my phone photo as “Pinnacle Plantation in Saddle brown which they haven’t made in 10-15 years.” That’s what is on my box in the garage. He dropped by and did some testing on both the finished wood and the unfinished wood. He believes he can assist with matching finishes. If I have a good or a bad result, I’ll post back here just to wind this post to a close.

Final result: We could not get a good match. If there was one item “off” I would have gone with wood. But the variables were many: plank size, wood species, color, hand scraped vs machine scraped, the slope on the edges of the planks, the sheen, length of planks, etc. No matter what product we chose, there was going to be a significant difference. We opted for black Montauck slate floors, and to not try and match the wood. I am happy with the results.

Latest posts

Back