Help with refinishing engineered wood floor

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHIryan

So I'm refinishing my sisters hardwood floors and while the 2nd floor / stairs is solid red oak, the first floor is this engineered wood flooring. Not sure if it's pine or white oak or hickory maybe ? Really just want to make sure I can sand this without messing up her floor. Looks like there is an 1/8" of hardwood as shown in 1st pic. Also the previous home owner left a small section of red oak on the first floor for some shelf they built there. Should I just replace this small section with similar engineered wood flooring before staining? If someone has any input it would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Attachments

• 20230122_092138.jpg
    20230122_092138.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
  • 20230219_092753.jpg
    20230219_092753.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Refinishing engineered hardwood is a bad idea in my opinion. The aluminum oxide coating is tough as hell. You could get through it in one spot and absolutely tear up the wood while trying to get the rest up. It doesn’t sand evenly.
Better off just replacing it with something she likes. Anything you try will be rolling the dice. Strictly hardwood guys wouldn’t touch it.

There's a company called Sheoga that sells unfinished engineered wood flooring. I think it's 13 ply with a nearly 1/4" top layer.
Not the cheap option for sure.

Latest posts

Back