How do I care for my oak floors?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harox193a7x

Thanks in advance for your time and help.
We are new homeowners and we're told by the previous owners that our floors or made of oak. I don't know if these floors have been previously waxed, oiled, finished, or if they are unfinished. This is a problem because I don't know how to safely and effective clean and care for them.

1. Do these look like oak floors to you?
2. How would you describe them? Waxed. Oiled. Finished. Unfinished. Or something else I'm not aware of.
3. What is the safe way to clean and care for them? What products or methods should I use?

Thanks so much!!!!

See pictures below
Thanks in advance for your time and help.
We are new homeowners and we're told by the previous owners that our floors or made of oak. I don't know if these floors have been previously waxed, oiled, finished, or if they are unfinished. This is a problem because I don't know how to safely and effective clean and care for them.

1. Do these look like oak floors to you?
2. How would you describe them? Waxed. Oiled. Finished. Unfinished. Or something else I'm not aware of.
3. What is the safe way to clean and care for them? What products or methods should I use?

Thanks so much!!!!

Attachments

• 20220721_120954.jpg
    20220721_120954.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220721_120946.jpg
    20220721_120946.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 2
Based on what appears to be beveled joints I’d guess prefinished hardwood or engineered wood. Both would be finished with a coat of polyurethane on them. Either way do not over wet. A little (and I mean little) spritz of warm water from a spray bottle on a dry towel or cotton mop will do for regular maintenance. For more serious cleaning I like Murphy’s Oil. Follow the instructions…. Oh and by the way did I mention not to over wet! And be cautious of people trying to sell you miracle products. Steam mops will destroy you floor.

Latest posts

Back