How much slope is acceptable?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highup

Will work for food
Supporting Member
Pro
I went to measure a basement that has been turned into a living area. There are two bedrooms, a small laundry, and a decent sized bathroom. From the daylight basement side, the living room area is 12x19. Looking at the way the sheetrock was hung, the concrete tapers gradually down and I'm guessing close to 2 inches.
As long as it's flat, is a 2-in slope over 19 ft okay?
I believe the material is Cortec, but it's the thinner gauge material with that tiny locking joint that I don't like.
I think the rest of the floor is fine, it just tapers from one end to the other towards the outside corner wall.
In this drawing the area with the problem is on the lower right. This part of the room is a daylight basement, towards the left it gradually becomes below grade. This is notched into a hillside so the area where the problem is, is summit near the edge of a down sloping hill. The house is probably 30 years old. No big cracks in the concrete so no obvious signs of movement.

Attachments

• PXL_20221124_192622319.jpg
    PXL_20221124_192622319.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 3
Don’t remember which product it was but one of them actually had an acceptable amount of slope written in the specs. It was nothing crazy but it was nice to see an answer to real world situations. 2” over 19’ ain’t bad as long as it’s smooth n flat. If the floor moves it will all move as one whole mass so maybe start on the downhill side of things and work your way up?

The only reason I was concerned is that thin material. I don't trust their small locking joints.
The customer asked me about it because he knew it was there. I told him I'd check in to it. There was a 4 x8 pile of stuff covered up in the center of the room so no way to see if it's s smooth flat slope. I said the best I can do is add 6 hours prep and a few bags of filler into the estimate for a more honest estimation. That would at least avoid sticker shock if no prep was added. It's easier to subtract. $$$

I do the same. I would rather shoot high and not get the job than shoot low and hit my foot.

Also people really appreciate when you charge less than you quoted them. And it makes you look honest. I look big, gruff & scary to women and children. I'll take any positive shine I can get. 😂

Latest posts

Back