How to do this hardwood to carpet transition

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billbill

Hi all. Here's some pics of the hardwood to carpet transition I'm talking about. We are replacing this old carpet and while doing so I want to attack this transition because old owners just ran the flooring flush to carpet and it was tucked. Doesn't look awful I just think a proper transition piece of hardwood strip should run across between the two walls and the carpet tucked to that instead of how it is now.
So how should I go about this? Can I buy a single piece of 12ft Bruce hardwood for this? Not sure if they even make it anymore. It must be a piece of the same hardwood used for a flush transition strip not the kind that sticks up and looks like a nose I hate that and it's just ugly.

Attachments

• IMG_5758.JPG
    IMG_5758.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_5759.JPG
    IMG_5759.JPG
    149.8 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_5760.JPG
    IMG_5760.JPG
    156.4 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_5761.JPG
    IMG_5761.JPG
    158.5 KB · Views: 220
If you have a router, you might rabbit that and to straighten the edge. That would allow you to create a lap joint to affix a flush transition piece...... Just like them ugly overlapping reducer moldings, but instead it's flush.
...you would of course have to make a lap joint in the transition piece also. If you can make up something that matches... Or maybe makes a nice contrast with the wood, I agree it would look better.

Last edited:
If you have a router, you might rabbit that and to straighten the edge. That would allow you to create a lap joint to affix a flush transition piece...... Just like them ugly overlapping reducer moldings, but instead it's flush.
...you would of course have to make a lap joint in the transition piece also. If you can make up something that matches... Or maybe makes a nice contrast with the wood, I agree it would look better.
Ok thanks for the insight but why would I need to cut a lap into the edge there? I'm pretty sure the ends of the boards there have a groove that runs along the edge either because this 3/4" tongue and groove is already grooved on one end or they cut the groove when installing and for whatever reason skipped out on the transition piece. Here's a pic of what I want ..

Attachments

• IMG_5768.PNG
    IMG_5768.PNG
    577.3 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_5769.PNG
    IMG_5769.PNG
    442.7 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_5770.PNG
    IMG_5770.PNG
    554.1 KB · Views: 237
The router would create a straight edge. I can't imagine that all of those board ends all line up perfectly straight.... they might, but I doubt it.

If the boards are close to being straight a router could be used to shave off a tiny bit to make them absolutely straight. I suppose the header board could be simply butted to the existing floor material. Otherwise you might want to spline the board ends.

With a router, you might only need to trim a tiny to bit if the wood installers were careful. The last parts at the beginning and at the end of the cut, would need to be done with hand tools or better yet, a multi tool like the Fien Multimaster oscillating saw. Much cheaper brands are available.

Latest posts

Back