How to mouseproof a computer chassis?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zannej

So, it turns out that the stupid little mice keep getting in to Mom's computer & pissing all over the video cards & causing them to fail. She's on video card #3 right now. I don't think we can put plastic or something directly on top to protect it-- they'd probably chew through it, so I'm wondering if there is some way I can put some mouse-proof mesh over any areas they might be able to get through. I know they can get through small holes, but I want to keep them out.

I've stressed to my mother the importance of keeping paper trash & food wrappers away from her desk & especially her computer-- but after cleaning up all the trash/paper she leaves there numerous times (she had a trash can next to her desk but nooo, she couldn't use it, she had to pile stuff on the floor) she still keeps piling it back up. The stuff gets piled so high & I can't differentiate between the trash & stuff she wants to keep. If she left it clear, Itsy could patrol & get the mice. She regularly catches them in the room, but she can't catch them if she can't get to them.

Ideally the best way would be to keep the area clean so the mice won't go there, but in case that doesn't work out, I need a solution to keep mice out.

Any ideas?

zannej you need Bella :)
Bella.jpg

She is getting ready to pull everything off the coffee table

So..... every desktop I've ever seen has panels enclosing the box. I ask myself - how the hell can mousers get in a PC if it's got panels around it? I is confused.

Something like eradicating the mice ~ before they get inside comes to mind. But that's just me.

Itsy is actually a very good mouser. Problem is, my mother piles crap up all around the computer & covers it so the cat can't actually get to the mice but they can get to the computer. She's captured mice on and around the desk but she can't do anything about it if she can't get to the area.

Nick, I'll have to see if I can find some peppermint oil & give it a try. If it works I will put that stuff everywhere bc these mice are horrible.

Ernesto, I couldn't figure out out either. When I was looking at it all around I couldn't for the life of me figure out how they are getting in. They even chewed the wires to her reset button. I think they may be getting in via some gaps in the paneling on the front where wires run for lights & other junk.

Dan, I wish that were feasible. I live in the woods so there is an endless supply of mice.

So, I'm going to try a few things:
1. I'm going to help Mom clean up her desk area, get rid of junk that attracts mice, & have her store stuff she normally piles on the desk inside clear plastic bins that she can see inside of. That way things will be easier to find. She likes to keep bags of almonds, chocolate covered nuts, oatmeal, grits, cocoa mix, etc at her desk inside plastic & cardboard. Mice love to get into that stuff.
2. I've got some fiberglass mesh screen to try to put over any holes/gaps that mice might be able to get through.
3. I'm going to move her computer up a level so it will be above it's storage cubby & more out in the open so it will be less likely to have clutter accumulate around it & will also have better ventilation.
4. I'm going to have to try to be more diligent about policing up around her desk so it doesn't keep getting so cluttered.
5. I will try to find the peppermint oil spray that Nick mentioned.

I wouldn't use candy bc of the sugar. We have fire ants here. Little bastards were in my friend's kitchen because there was some food left on the floor. I'll have to see if the local walmart has that & do a test area somewhere & make sure it doesn't attract ants.

Ah. cool. I'll have to pick some up at Walmart next time I'm there & give it a try.

I picked up some peppermint oil & put it on some cotton swabs up in the higher cabinets to see how it works at repelling bugs & mice. I need to go back & check. Since it's toxic to cats, I can't put it anywhere they will likely get into it though.

My friend pulled the front cover off the chassis & discovered the mice had crapped all over the top of the DVD drive (but fortunately it was undamaged). Discovered there were two openings in the front that were large enough for mice to get through & covered them with fiberglass screen & gorilla tape. When he put the cover back on he put the mesh over the bottom opening that was letting them up behind the front part & in through the holes. I'm still going to use the peppermint oil in it to see if it helps keep the mice at bay.

Latest posts

Back