How to properly wrap LVP Stair nose?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deeber

Im not sure the best way to finish these stair edges with this bull nose. I thought I would just cut 45's on them and wrap around stair edge but now that I have them they dont seem to sit flush butting up to edge of the main tread piece so maybe this not what is meant when I hear to wrap it around? Or maybe the nose is cut off and just glued on the edge? I know my other option is closing in the stairs but this may not work with future railing ballusters closed in. Thanks in advance for any support.

Attachments

• 20210708_151954.jpg
    20210708_151954.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 401
  • 20210708_151917.jpg
    20210708_151917.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 265
Is there pad on the back of the planks? If so that will need to be scraped off. That little bit of extra thickness will throw things off. The long side of the plank looks like it clicks into the stair nose. The short side may need to be super glued together then construction adhesive the whole mess to the stair so that all sets up as one solid piece. Test fit everything and you may need to rip clean edges onto the plank and stair nose so you have some vertical surface to super glue them together. I would blue tape the surfaces of the planks and the stair nose so any super glue that squeezes out won’t get on the surface because you won’t be able to get it off. Take your time and test fit, test fit and test fit before you make things permanent.

Is there pad on the back of the planks? If so that will need to be scraped off. That little bit of extra thickness will throw things off. The long side of the plank looks like it clicks into the stair nose. The short side may need to be super glued together then construction adhesive the whole mess to the stair so that all sets up as one solid piece. Test fit everything and you may need to rip clean edges onto the plank and stair nose so you have some vertical surface to super glue them together. I would blue tape the surfaces of the planks and the stair nose so any super glue that squeezes out won’t get on the surface because you won’t be able to get it off. Take your time and test fit, test fit and test fit before you make things permanent.

Yes, the lvp has a cork backing. Are you saying this has to be removed off of all stair treads to properly use the molding? This is the molding for this LVP so I would be surprised if this is the case. Or is this normal for LVP on stairs? Thanks.

The LVP has a backing, the stair nose doesn’t. That is why the stair nose and planks aren’t flushing out. I suppose you could put a shim underneath the stair nose but removing the cork backing is usually faster and easier.

Thanks CJ. I spoke with manufacturer and they don't feel I should be removing the cork. They mention a little extra glue under nosing and it will be level and the PL adhesive sticks better to the cork... I am torn as I did remove the cork on a sample and it definitely fits better. The cork removal was not easy to scrape off but doable with patience. I suppose I am looking for a broader consensus on which way to go if there are any other professional thoughts out there. Thanks all.

Good on you for calling the manufacturer. So now you can either play the put some extra schmootz under the stair nose or you can find something to shim it up so it flushes out.

Latest posts

Back