How would you stretch this ?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben1191

dwseams.pngI have this job that i done once before 3 years ago, the carpet had bubbled/delaminated throughout the house however the carpet used was absolutely notorious for delamination and was honestly a POS, had been for years. they finally seemed to have sorted their issues with new ovens and we've been called back to redo it (not at cost to me).I started on the landing and stretched through the bedrooms away from the seams and all was good, no bubbles anywhere and was all stretched correctly as far as i know. but a 2nd opinion is always good.

Heres some photos from the last visit
1663874843730.png
1663874855461.png
1663874897518.png
1663874915900.png
1663874949797.png
1663874968230.png
1663874981764.png

As mentioned hallway first then away from the doorways. The water heater closet looks great. Nice job. I don’t know if I would have attempted to put tack and pad in there. Maybe a strip in front of it to hold the stretch outside, then flop it in. As mentioned, probably not the best place for wall to wall carpet.

Thanks for the replies, thats basically what i did before but wanted to make sure i wasnt doing it wrong 😄 we dont get much doorway seams in the uk

As mentioned hallway first then away from the doorways. The water heater closet looks great. Nice job. I don’t know if I would have attempted to put tack and pad in there. Maybe a strip in front of it to hold the stretch outside, then flop it in. As mentioned, probably not the best place for wall to wall carpet.
Yeah thats the only thing id change is maybe tackstrip before the water heater and then spray glue the rest

Beautiful work in the water heater closet. Not sure why it's not a bare floor so leaks can be detected.
Been arguing that for literally years but nope, burn your arms and hands on boiling pipes for the asthetics and satisfaction of builders/sales

Thanks for the replies, thats basically what i did before but wanted to make sure i wasnt doing it wrong 😄 we dont get much doorway seams in the uk
Haha, the UK! I knew something funny was happening when I saw that water heater. 😁
Installation seems to be more complex than a US water heater.
Pretty much trim your seam on both sides of the doorway with the pieces laid in place. It's always best to stretch across the doorway seam before putting it together
So I trim and seal the seam edge then stretch across the side of the room that has that doorway on it.
I'll then put that seam together and like was mentioned by everyone, stretch away from that seam.

I dont take "tea" brakes 😄.

And i tuck with a combination of plastic bolster, a custom tool i have thats essentially a blunted hop pruning knife for small or tight areas, and the orcon quick tuck. Never tuck with a stair bolster

Plastic stair tool. I’ve seen them but never tried one. One tool I really did like was the Taylor EZ Tuck. I called it my red handled boomerang. I would use it to crease and hold the carpet after a stretch just like a spreader does. Then I would use it to tuck the carpet after I trimmed it. Worked real good for getting a nice crease line on stairs too.

Latest posts

Back