HW Flooring Intercoat Abrasion

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TPO-C

Hi,

Several months back I installed some reclaimed hardwood flooring in my house. I put a coat of Bona sealer on the floor, and was able to get 2 coats of Bona Mega finish in one room, and only 1 coat of finish in another room. These are heavy traffic rooms, so I plan to have 3 coats of finish on each.

My understanding is you don't have to do an intercoat abrasion for the finish if you recoat within 48 hours, but you should if it's after that.

I contacted Bona, and they recommend "a 320 grit maroon pad (aka conditioning pad)." When I looked at the Bona Mega instructions, it recommends "using a multidisc and Bona Diamond 180 to 240 grit abrasives with Bona Intermediate Pads."

Aside from their conflicting info, I don't have access to Bona-specific tools or pads, and am trying to figure out the best way to do this. I have access to a buffer or orbital floor sander at the local hardware store.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Terry

You don't have to use the multidisc machine. A buffer will work fine. 240 should scratch it up enough to grab.

Thanks for the reply. I went to the hardware store, and they recommended against renting a buffer (said it would leave swirls), and instead said to use a pole sander. Would that work, too? It's around 340 sq. ft., so it wouldn't be too bad to do it, I just want to make sure it will do the job.

Thanks for the reply. I went to the hardware store, and they recommended against renting a buffer (said it would leave swirls), and instead said to use a pole sander. Would that work, too? It's around 340 sq. ft., so it wouldn't be too bad to do it, I just want to make sure it will do the job.
Yup, or a square buffer.

Update: I used a pole sander w/220 grit and got the coat of finish on. Looks good so far. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back