I also have newly installed carpet that is crunchy.

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rara

Hi everyone! I'm new here. I've been searching crunchy sounding carpet for a while for help in why mine is so noisy. The carpet is from Mohawk, and is Superiority II- Color Estate Greige Texture. It was installed on February 10th of this year. The business I bought it from contacted the carpet manufacturer (Mohawk) and they had someone come out and look at my carpet to make a determination. The independent person they hired sent in his report. He was not allowed to talk to me about any of it he said. Mohawk said that nothing is wrong with the carpet. It's a lower level and has cement underneath. We bought what we were told was the best padding. It's LIFEPROOF brand and is 7/16" thick, waterproof. The man asked if it had flakes or not on it. I said no, it's all black thick rubber basically. I didn't have samples to give him as I had given away our leftover carpet and padding to a relative. So, the business we bought the carpet from said that there is nothing they can do since the mfg says there is no problem with it. So, now what? I am NOT ok living with the crunchiness! I'm wondering if they did glue the pad down in a lot of the area and that may be the cause of the noise? It's not noisy everywhere, but is the worst at the edges of door openings, where it meets the previously carpeted stairs, areas I THINK where they had the cut edges of carpet to 'butt the edges together'. I hope this made sense. So, if it isn't the carpet, then it could be the pad or the installation process. The representative from the company we bought it all from said this "They have denied any claim to manufacturing issues, so unfortunately on my side I have to close the issue." What do you all think and recommend I do next? HELP!!!! Thank you!!!!! ~ Kara

Go back to the store and see if you can get a small piece of the pad. If you must, look in their dumpster. Installers have probably tossed some scraps in there. See first if that makes the sound.

Sounds like seaming tape melted to the pad or seam sealer or the like.
Is it only in doorways and where the carpet was joined by your stairs?
It's random throughout the whole level..... it's just worse in those areas. Hallway, bedrooms, living room, everywhere. I'm thinking that where they made cuts throughout is also the worst spots, but I'm only guessing on that cuz of it being the worst at the areas that meet in the doorway or stop at the doorways (like entrance to under the steps storage area and laundry room, where there is just cement, nothing else.

Could be some loose concrete crumbles under the pad from break-out when they nailed down tackstrip.
They used our original tack strip (approx. 30 years old!). I wish they had replaced that too though! They did a great job vacuuming once the old stuff was removed too. I was down there for that part and mentioned how clean they got it all.

They might of also taped the edges of the pad with a less than nominal tape for the application.
That pad is a nightmare.
So you don't recommend that pad? That might be where the problem lies, with the pad, and not the carpet..?!?! I am surprised that the place I bought it is closing the case without even considering that it could be the pad or installation. I'm not going to let this go though...

There are a million things that could be the problem but here is the thing, it is not up to you to determine what is wrong. What you know is that one inspector had made the carpet not liable. If it is not directly an issue with the carpet then all that is left is the pad and the installation. Regardless of what the issue is, the thing is it is not your issue to deal with. Did you install the carpet? No. So, that makes it the issue of whom ever you solicited to do that. There is not a single carpet installation that is meant to be "crunchy" when it is completed so that is enough for you to pursue satisfaction.

There are a million things that could be the problem but here is the thing, it is not up to you to determine what is wrong. What you know is that one inspector had made the carpet not liable. If it is not directly an issue with the carpet then all that is left is the pad and the installation. Regardless of what the issue is, the thing is it is not your issue to deal with. Did you install the carpet? No. So, that makes it the issue of whom ever you solicited to do that. There is not a single carpet installation that is meant to be "crunchy" when it is completed so that is enough for you to pursue satisfaction.
Thank you for this info!! I bought the carpet at Home Depot, and they hire the installers. I'm contacting them again today.

They will make you whole in the end. I hate home depot for all it is worth but at the end of the day they want satisfied customers more than janky installers so eventually you will get satisfaction. Keep moving up the chain and in the end you will get answers.

They used our original tack strip (approx. 30 years old!). I wish they had replaced that too though! They did a great job vacuuming once the old stuff was removed too. I was down there for that part and mentioned how clean they got it all.
Tackstrip is generally good forever unless it has gotten wet and turned black or has animal whiz on it. The only time I repaced it was if the spacing was wrong or the above mentioned. Think of it this way it is probably of better quality than what would have been put down. Also on concrete removing the old would have probably spauled the concrete and now they have those holes to deal with. I'm wondering if they used duct tape on the seams of the pad and it is sticking and then releasing when you step on it causing the crunching noises. Just a thought.

You just mentioned the same two things that I was going to, Daris.
Unless the tack strip is damaged or positioned incorrectly, it's best to just leave it. What darris mentioned about the pad being taped and Mark mentioned it also.
You might want to try something.
Most pad is 6 ft wide though some is 52 in wide. Walk across the room and see if that crunchy sound you're talking about is every 6 ft or every 52 inches. The doorway of course would have a seam in the padding. If that crunchy sound seems to be consistent every five or six feet but not in between, there's a chance it's the pad tape. If it's totally random..... Then it could be the carpet. I have walked on carpet that has a crunchy sound to it. I'm not familiar with the pad that you mentioned but pad can sometimes cause squeaks because of little chips of plastic that gets shredded up along with the foam.
If the inspector came from mohawk then you less likely have someone tell you there's something wrong with the carpet then if you seek out an independent carpet inspector to look at the problem. An inspector hired by the mill is going to be paid by the mill and it's probably in his best interest to side with mill unless the defect is obvious. there may be a list of independent carpet or flooring inspectors out there, somewhere in the world, but I've never tried looking for that information. You would have to pay out of pocket for that and if it was deemed by him to be a carpet defect, he would tell you what the problem was because you hired him.
To get your money back, would probably end up in court unless the mill accepted his report and agreed that there was a defect and fix the problem......... and paid for your inspector.
The mill hired their own inspector, so they are the only one that he is required to give an inspection report to.
Yes, I'd continue pursuing this. Not being irate or a pest.

If it was possible to find a good carpet installer, I don't know if it might be wise to hire him to bring a stretcher and unhook one wall and pull It loose so you can see the pad and if the pad has tape on it. A good installer would probably be able to tell if the pad or the carpet was making the noise.

They will make you whole in the end. I hate home depot for all it is worth but at the end of the day they want satisfied customers more than janky installers so eventually you will get satisfaction. Keep moving up the chain and in the end you will get answers.
Well, I've moved up the ladder one step and she said she has to agree with the inspection report that all is fine. I said, no, it is NOT fine. I'm not ok with crunchy carpet or pad or whatever the reason is for this sound. I'm not a fan currently of H. D. She finally agreed to reach out to the pad mfg so now I wait to hear what they want to do. Thoughts or suggestions anyone?!?! Here is what the original inspector said in his report:

Attachments

• 38A50A50-7F8A-4750-B3DE-1049EE26BE19.jpeg
    38A50A50-7F8A-4750-B3DE-1049EE26BE19.jpeg
    150.4 KB · Views: 126
  • E6FC3F82-4EC5-40CE-A6D0-149064CA78A9.jpeg
    E6FC3F82-4EC5-40CE-A6D0-149064CA78A9.jpeg
    159.9 KB · Views: 128
If it was possible to find a good carpet installer, I don't know if it might be wise to hire him to bring a stretcher and unhook one wall and pull It loose so you can see the pad and if the pad has tape on it. A good installer would probably be able to tell if the pad or the carpet was making the noise.
Thank you! I will look into finding an inspector. Great idea!

That report is complete garbage to you as a consumer.
Here is a thing, when carpet is installed properly it CANNOT BE LIFTED in the center or anywhere else in the room.
Needless to say, no determination was made as to the cause just as to what was NOT the cause and that is Mohawks carpet. I would agree to that, but that doesn't solve your problem.
Let's say it magically is just "latex crumbs" making auditory noises on your pad... well then that pad is not a likely combination for an action backed carpet. Still not your fault.

Tackstrip is generally good forever unless it has gotten wet and turned black or has animal whiz on it. The only time I repaced it was if the spacing was wrong or the above mentioned. Think of it this way it is probably of better quality than what would have been put down. Also on concrete removing the old would have probably spauled the concrete and now they have those holes to deal with. I'm wondering if they used duct tape on the seams of the pad and it is sticking and then releasing when you step on it causing the crunching noises. Just a thought.
I'm looking for a different carpet inspector to hire to see if that person can tell me the actual problem. :) There was one small area, maybe at most 6 inches long, of the tack strip that was wet at one point, but that was in a corner between the outside wall and our fireplace, and nobody could walk there cuz it's only a square about 12 inches. Why he picked THAT spot to take up the carpet is beyond me. I wish he had taken it up where it actually crunches! I showed him all kinds of areas where it was the worst. I do think this inspector was completely on the side of Mohawk (and hired by them so....?!?).

That report is complete garbage to you as a consumer.
Here is a thing, when carpet is installed properly it CANNOT BE LIFTED in the center or anywhere else in the room.
Needless to say, no determination was made as to the cause just as to what was NOT the cause and that is Mohawks carpet. I would agree to that, but that doesn't solve your problem.
Let's say it magically is just "latex crumbs" making auditory noises on your pad... well then that pad is not a likely combination for an action backed carpet. Still not your fault.
I'm worried I'm going to be sool!!

Latest posts

Back