I also have newly installed carpet that is crunchy.

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hold your ground. You may have to escalate things to the next, and the next, person up the chain of command. Ultimately HD does want satisfied customers but as you can see it is a long game you’re playing with them. Since they dusted your house up with a Portland based cement floor patch you could play the silica dust card in your house and all your duct work and tell them that now you have to have a cleaning company come in with HEPA equipment and clean your ducts in addition to everything else since silica dust is a carcinogen. Every time they try to downplay you just have to turn it up to match their BS. It’s a game, play to win even though you ultimately lose.
I did tell them it would be almost 400.00 to clean our vents of all the crap so that only leaves 350 for all our troubles and that is just not acceptable! I’ll keep it going. I’m in no rush! Our ducts were to be cleaned on Tuesday but we all got sick so had to reschedule for 2 weeks from now. I did NOT know this stuff is a carcinogen! Thanks for the info!!

Yep. Silica dust leads to silicosis. There is a whole new set of regulations from OSHA regarding the containment of silica dust. It’s serious stuff.
Well shoot! A lot of it is still in our basement under the pad. Ugh!

Yep. Silica dust leads to silicosis. There is a whole new set of regulations from OSHA regarding the containment of silica dust. It’s serious stuff.
No kidding, instead of sprinkling the dust and sweeping it around why didn't he just skim coat the floor with that same product?
Lazy and sloppy. Hope they taped the seams good so it doesn't pull that dust up through the pad seams when the floor gets vacuumed. It probably won't but still..... The stuff is made for skim coating why not skim coat??? (Insert banging head against the wall gif)

Well shoot! A lot of it is still in our basement under the pad. Ugh!
No difference on asbestos if it's under the floor you're living on then it just sits there. If there's even the tiniest bit of moisture coming up through the concrete, it should solidify a little bit. Not something to worry about.

No kidding, instead of sprinkling the dust and sweeping it around why didn't he just skim coat the floor with that same product?
Lazy and sloppy. Hope they taped the seams good so it doesn't pull that dust up through the pad seams when the floor gets vacuumed. It probably won't but still..... The stuff is made for skim coating why not skim coat??? (Insert banging head against the wall gif)

If they can’t properly lay pad, do you think they know how to skim coat?

If they can’t properly lay pad, do you think they know how to skim coat?
Well they 'floated' the floor with leveler so maybe someone didn't explain the terminology to them. The problem came up when some floated onto the windowsill, coffee table, and the TV and into the vents.
Hopefully the door was open and some floated outside.

Well they 'floated' the floor with leveler so maybe someone didn't explain the terminology to them. The problem came up when some floated onto the windowsill, coffee table, and the TV and into the vents.
No doors open as it was in the 90’s and high humidity. The guy that did this is one of Crew2’s lead people. The same guy that came out to inspect the pad originally! I sure wish he had used the paint thinner on it instead! He chose not to to save us from the fumes. He told me he sometimes uses flour but this stuff is better. I sure was glad he didn’t use flour tho or we would have had bugs galore!

Mineral spirits is less fumey than paint thinner. Denatured alcohol would have been another option. Just how much pad glue did they use anyway? You don’t need that much for it to hold the pad in place. These guys sound like a three stooges episode going on in your house.

Mineral spirits is less fumey than paint thinner. Denatured alcohol would have been another option. Just how much pad glue did they use anyway? You don’t need that much for it to hold the pad in place. These guys sound like a three stooges episode going on in your house.
They used a 4” wide paintbrush to apply the spray adhesive! They put down a 4” thick line in a rectangle for about every 4’. So for one edge butt up to another edge there would be 4” on each side so 8” wide then! It was all throughout the cement like this. So even if no seam they still did the rectangle of it everywhere. I am still trying to figure out how spreading the leveling compound and creating all the dust from it is better than applying something over it with a paintbrush! When I walked into a bedroom where he was putting it down I could hardly see him thru the cloud of dust! Not exaggerating! I told him he should be wearing a mask because breathing all this in can’t be ok for him. To apply it he swished it everywhere with his hands creating the huge dust bowls.

I had to wipe it off the walls in areas as well and every mop board had to be dusted with pledge as well as every windowsill, doorframe, counter area and every single item on the shelving ledges around every room. Not to mention still having to dust every figurine and items in the closets since we had removed all doors that swing out so they wouldn’t damage them during install. A LOT floated everywhere and settled on and in everything! And he used my broom to try to sweep it up from all the areas on the floor that didn’t have the adhesive on it. He should have brought a wet/dry vacuum to use instead!

Like I said earlier, it’s a long game now and HD is simply trying to limit their loss on this. Stand your ground. The pics and video will be very helpful should it come to you having to go to court. HD hires clowns so stand your ground!

Latest posts

Back