I haven't promised anyone anything

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highup

Will work for food
Supporting Member
Pro
Did a measure today for Marmoleum. Two bedrooms, a hallway, the living room and a kitchen. There are two large tiled areas to fit, a hearth and front entry.
The material would probably look better north and south.
The floor needs 3/8 plywood to bring it closer to the height of the tile.
We're looking for a wood trim around the hearth and entry. The tiled areas are slightly under 5/8" total thickness.
Running North and South there would be a seam at the beginning edge of the hallway and one in front of the hearth and I think the material would hit the doorway going into the kitchen.
Those two runs would be just over 26 ft long and Marmo is 6' 7"
6' 7" would also make a one-piece hallway with a seam in the closet at the end of the hallway.
Is running north to south totally crazy?
The homeowner plans to do this in phases with the two bedrooms on the right and the hallway being phase 1.
It might be weeks or even a month later before the living room is ready.
No dates set, no promises made.
Thoughts appreciated, including Run Forrest run. 😁
The bathroom will not be done.
I didn't draw in the kitchen fully.
If run east to west, there would be toe kicks on each side of the kitchen sheet, probably not a huge deal.

Attachments

• PXL_20220201_070252146.MP~2.jpg
    PXL_20220201_070252146.MP~2.jpg
    354.5 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Are you worried about the Marmo shrinking when you have it rolled up, waiting for the glue to be spread? Maybe your knifing in the end of the long runs? Or the seam edge getting messed up, as it would be what you scribe to or butt? I've run into the seam thing doing hospital work all the time, I put a little strip against my seam edge; of vinyl or cutting a reducer off some rubber topset to protect it, so far so good, recutting isn't impossible, but awkward. My favorite thing is welding then sheets together, but, then your inviable seam goes away.
I tend to pattern long shots, but not if I have to do it at the shop, meaning I have to roll to transport, and then unroll in the area I'm working in. If you can do you cutting inside the house, that means minimal time rolled up to compensate for, and backrolling to glue and making folding it back on its self maybe twice, then I'm not scared. I don't know if that makes sense, but it does to me, lol. I don't doubt you will pull it off...

I will say, I havent done much Lino since they switched to that acrylic stuff, I liked that old school multi kind of like the old formula Henrys 356 we had back in the day, the stuff that really grabbed. I haven't seen a bucket of 356 in years, the only vinyl I was doing was the commercial stuff at the hospital and its clinics, but I gave that up last fall. Shop found another guy willing to work at night, he and I worked together on the last 2 installs I did. He needs a little help now and then, and Im glad to help him out. Good guy.

The job, will be done in sections, maybe weeks apart or longer.
It would involve refastening the current plywood, some minor leveling, then installing additional 3/8" or 1/2" plywood. The guy wants new baseboard also.
Beginning to think this is more job than I want to do in a "lived in" residence. Speedy Gonzales I ain't.
He probably doesn't care.
I've seen little Linoleum, so that alone concerns me.
First one I did, 20 years ago, the sales guy said be sure to leave a razor blade gap because the material will grow, and even buckle if fit net. I followed his advice and it barely moved. 😖
The but seam was fit tight and it did fine. I glued it in the sequence they advised.
I've glued just one side of a seam too, the trimmed side, then come back the next day to glue and scribe fit the next piece..... It certainly doesn't grow much with that method.
In length, I could leave it long so shrinkage isn't such a concern.
Part of my concern is lack of experience with lino. In the 80s and 90s, we did a lot of Armstrong Corlons, Seagate and Brigantine.
Those materials behaved predictably. I liked that. I guess lino bothers me because I've seen so little of it.

I'll add, the plywood installation concerns me too. For the past 6 months, my lower back had been bothering me. A disk most likely.
Cutting plywood and carrying it inside isn't the best way to make a bad back feel better either. You have to carry the plywood with your back and hips twisted.
..... I guess I'm pondering of this job is for me.
I suppose I'd probably be more enthusiastic if my lino experience and confidence was a bit higher. 🥱
It's measured up, just not sure if I want to commit.

Nope, it hits suddenly.
Well that sucks. I don't have any major issues such as walking or carrying things or doing daily activities. I pretty much carry on as normal.
So the big thing that concerns me, is my back, my lower back just above my hips. It takes a couple of ibuprofen, and a couple hours of time in the morning, plus a nice hot shower on my back along with some slow stretching, then I'm good for the day. I know even though I'm not a doctor, that it's a disc issue. I think the best thing that I can do is to continue working and moving because after taking most of December off that's when my back really started hurting. I think I had lost some muscle tone and that was aggravating the problem.

Well that sucks. I don't have any major issues such as walking or carrying things or doing daily activities. I pretty much carry on as normal.
So the big thing that concerns me, is my back, my lower back just above my hips. It takes a couple of ibuprofen, and a couple hours of time in the morning, plus a nice hot shower on my back along with some slow stretching, then I'm good for the day. I know even though I'm not a doctor, that it's a disc issue. I think the best thing that I can do is to continue working and moving because after taking most of December off that's when my back really started hurting. I think I had lost some muscle tone and that was aggravating the problem.

I agree that keeping your body moving is the key to holding off pains. When I take a few weeks off and come back to work it's rough!!

It takes years in the trades to build a resistance to the aches and pains. But only a couple weeks to get softer than baby shit. 😂

The homeowner called me yesterday and said that he probably be willing to go to linoleum click together tiles instead of sheet goods.
One with the other I think he wants me to do the job.
I've never messed with marmoleum click together tiles and the shop doesn't have any on hand for me to look at.
I'm just curious what the locking mechanism is like and how easy or difficult it is to click them together especially going backwards which would be necessary on purpose job.

The homeowner called me yesterday and said that he probably be willing to go to linoleum click together tiles instead of sheet goods.
One with the other I think he wants me to do the job.
I've never messed with marmoleum click together tiles and the shop doesn't have any on hand for me to look at.
I'm just curious what the locking mechanism is like and how easy or difficult it is to click them together especially going backwards which would be necessary on purpose job.

Candy from a baby.

.....so its a bad thing to do? 😁
Do you lower them in and tap them same as cortec, or can you tap them together straight sideways like when going around door casings.

Latest posts

Back