Identify flooring help

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smack2k

Hello

I want to take out the flooring in our powder room but I dont know what type of flooring it is or if it has asbestos. Its a sheet rolled type that the previous owners rolled up each side of the room instead of using basebaords. It appears fairly old by the color....

I have attached a photo of it....hoping someone could ID the type or help me figure it out as well as find out if there is asbestos most likely...

Thanks for any help

Attachments

• 20200404_092840.jpg
    20200404_092840.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 269
Not a clue.....just not sure what it is as we want to remove it to redo the room, but I dont know if there is asbestos under there or not......

That is a nice looking floor. Really hard to guess about asbestos. But as long as it is not "friable" asbestos is safe. Friable is when it becomes a dust. You can mist it if it is and eliminate much of the danger.

If asbestos flooring is crumbling, it is dangerous because you can breathe it in. But you can use a spray bottle of water and keep it damp so there is no dust.

There are newer products like yours, so the only way you will know is to cut out a small piece an inch or two square. If it's solid vinyl top to bottom you won't have asbestos worries.
What type of flooring are you planning to replace it with?

Hello all again,

How do I remove this flooring? What is the best way to do it? Its about 3/4" thick and appears to be one roll across the floor and up the sides.

Thanks again.

I'm betting that is old battleship linoleum. It probablly has a jute backing on it. I don't think Battleship had asbestoes in it but the only way to know is have it tested by a lab. Is the a heat run you can lift the register out so you can get side view of the material and post a picture of it.

I'm betting that is old battleship linoleum. It probablly has a jute backing on it. I don't think Battleship had asbestoes in it but the only way to know is have it tested by a lab. Is the a heat run you can lift the register out so you can get side view of the material and post a picture of it.
He could even cut off a quarter inch strip from under a heat register. If he decided not to replace the flooring, that tiny piece would be covered up by the heat register. If it was in as good shape as it looks I'd leave it. That was a very expensive installation.

Last edited:
If you look at the photo, the linoleum runs across the floor and rolls up the wall about 6-7 Inches. So where you see the blue linoleum end, the white part sticking out from the wall is the side of the linoleum sheet. That isnt stripping or trim, its the side of the linoleum.

If you look at the photo, the linoleum runs across the floor and rolls up the wall about 6-7 Inches. So where you see the blue linoleum end, the white part sticking out from the wall is the side of the linoleum sheet. That isnt stripping or trim, its the side of the linoleum.
That stripes just a linoleum inset or feature strip. It's just a fancy linoleum job.
You cannot tell what kind of asbestos is in the material without having it tested. If the material was made after the mid 90's it doesn't have asbestos in it. You could just remove the part that runs up the wall, then fill the gap that will be left along the wall, with floor patch to make it level.
From that point it's hard to advise without knowing what you are planning to do.

Disagree If it was the lino it would be the same colour as the lino
I reckon its a capping strip of some sorts :)

Dang, Jon I may have learned sumpin' today. For some reason, I always assumed those strips were lino...... so they are just strips of something the same thickness made just for doing that sort of thing?

I am talking on the wall, not the floor
You need on most jobs a capping strip of some sorts so the raw edge of the vinyl is protected from water running under the vinyl when washing the walls, also holds the vinyl down when laying
If you look that strip on the top of the vinyl is actually thicker than the floor vinyl

DO I need to send it away to be tested?

Also, I looked again at the floor, that linoleum rolls up the side of the wall and the white part isnt a cap, its part of the lin.

Im not sure what you mean by a strip on top of the vinyl on the floor....

Asbestos flooring removal is regulated and may be different in each state. You need to Google asbestos flooring removal in your state.
That may or may not contain asbestos. You cannot tell by looking at it.
Sometimes homeowners can remove it themselves, but it is still supposed to be disposed of in accordance to the law.
Asbestos is considered hazardous materials.
Just remove the part on the wall, fill the void that will remain on the perimeter and staple down 1/4" underlayment grade plywood or skim coat the floor.
What will you be installing?
It's hard to help without knowing.
Why do you want to remove it?

Latest posts

Back