Identify my hardwood

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrevorE

I am closing on my new house here in a couple weeks and it has what looks to be red oak hardwood floors. The kitchen has linoleum and the bedrooms have carpet. I would like to finish the hardwood throughout the home. I plan to sand the old floors and finish them the same as the new floors. Any advice on matching the new floors with the existing would be appreciated and could anyone guess what grade these floors are ?

Attachments

• 99656D4F-365D-4E15-AD80-A53D578A9B82.png
    99656D4F-365D-4E15-AD80-A53D578A9B82.png
    8.9 MB · Views: 1
Maybe #2 common?

No matter what you get the new floor isn’t going to match perfectly. Aging changes the appearance of wood, even when refinished.

Whatever you get ask the installer to do a better job on the racking. Sorry to critique what’s already done but end seams shouldn’t line up, especially not right in a doorway.

Last edited:
Looks like red oak, that's typically less expensive and therefore more common than white. That sure looks the same as what's under the carpet in my house-------someday to be repaired/refinished. To be certain Google the differences and then do a better inspection (higher resolution) and a side view of the plank is very helpful to identify the grain type distinguishing the species.

https://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/distinguishing-red-oak-from-white-oak/

Yeah, it is amazing that my eye went directly to that area. Beautiful floors though.
I'm betting that's a true random lengths product.
You have a pile of 25 boards all between 29 1/4 and 30 1/2.
You're running short on mid length boards and even if you tried using a mid length board, it will end up with nearly parallel end joints too.
It's hard sometimes to avoid that......
....maybe order 5 or 6 extra boxes so you don't run out of the planks you need. 😉

Latest posts

Back