I'm worse than a deer in headlights... Need help/advice/direction.. PLEASE

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stylezstar81

Hey everybody! Thanks for taking your time to drop in. I'm sooo lost. I need help PLEASEEE.
PXL_20221012_173054376.jpg
Hello Everybody! Thank you sooo much for dropping by! I'm sooo lost, I don't even know where to begin. The picture is if the room I'm trying to put vinyl planks in. I just set them out to see if I have enough and so you can see I have 2 different sizes. The room is approximately 4 x 8 ft. The door is where I'm standing to take this picture. There's 1 window and it's on the left. (I'm only giving you that information in case it matters to figure out direction and anything else.)

I don't know where to start. I don't know if I should go up and down or left to right and I don't know if I need to cut anything so it doesn't look so uniform. I'm just completely lost and I can use anybody's help so I can get this done ASAP please. I tried those visualizer apps, and I tried two different ones hoping it would at least show me the direction to lay these in and both websites gave me the opposite direction.

So please, if anyone could kindly tell me what to do, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks again for reading this. Any advice and help will be highly appreciated!!!!?

I would lay them long ways in the room just like you have them. Start on the long straight wall on you right. Measure the width of the room and rip down planks of your first row only if necessary to avoid any small slivers on the long walls. Put a 1/4” or 3/8th” spacer between the wall and your first row. Be sure to cut planks so as to off set all the butt seams so it doesn’t form a pattern as you work to your left. Some rows will have 3 pieces. There is some waste involved in avoiding a pattern but it’s worth it. End cuts should go to the wall, not the seams. Easy Peazy.

Last edited:
You have enough for sure. What concerns me is not only are there different widths but there's also distinct shade difference between the different size. Normally an installer wants to not only stagger in the joints to appear random----NO PATTERN---but we want to shuffle those shade variations to normalize or blend it all into a single look. You absolutely CAN NOT randomly stagger and mix in the shades to create a single floor appearance. If you lay all of one size together it's really going to highlight that variance. So I'd recommend one row or maybe two rows of thick then two thin, two thick two thin, like that. You can "dry lay" or loose layout the goods to see what looks best.

Because I'd want to staggger the size/shade boards this way I'm inclined to run the rows the short way to distract from this odd circumstance. You will need to minimize waste by using what's cut off from each row as the starter for the next as you proceed. If that results in two seams aligning too close push that offcut up a couple rows. The point is you don't have enough cushion for waste to allow for throwing those offcuts away. They HAVE to be utilized as you go along.

I'd do the planks right to left if they are wide enough to go in one piece. Put the wide ones in the back half and continue until you run out, then use the narrower planks to finish.
Now, will these different width planks even click together?

I'd do the planks right to left if they are wide enough to go in one piece. Put the wide ones in the back half and continue until you run out, then use the narrower planks to finish.
Now, will these different width planks even click together?
If they don't click you'd HAVE to just lay all the wide/thin in seperate sections, cut off the click-lock tongues and glue it down.

You have enough for sure. What concerns me is not only are there different widths but there's also distinct shade difference between the different size. Normally an installer wants to not only stagger in the joints to appear random----NO PATTERN---but we want to shuffle those shade variations to normalize or blend it all into a single look. You absolutely CAN NOT randomly stagger and mix in the shades to create a single floor appearance. If you lay all of one size together it's really going to highlight that variance. So I'd recommend one row or maybe two rows of thick then two thin, two thick two thin, like that. You can "dry lay" or loose layout the goods to see what looks best.

Because I'd want to staggger the size/shade boards this way I'm inclined to run the rows the short way to distract from this odd circumstance. You will need to minimize waste by using what's cut off from each row as the starter for the next as you proceed. If that results in two seams aligning too close push that offcut up a couple rows. The point is you don't have enough cushion for waste to allow for throwing those offcuts away. They HAVE to be utilized as you go along.
I do I want that staggered look. I'm still unclear on where to put the first plank. I'm about to go mess with this. I'm going to lay them out right to left and take a picture and I'll post it up here

Latest posts

Back