In Memory of Jim McClain

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSLI

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Pro
Almost forgot, today is the one year anniversary Of His death, but it feels much longer. How about sharing a funny story from TFP ! .....For me, when I noticed the recent topic on Helpers, I immediately thought of Jimbo ! He would have been all over that post showing pics of all the sexy helpers he had from back in the 70’s 😄 Miss you Jim and all the other diseased TFP members, may they all RIP

Attachments

• FAA39BE3-18F7-4ED3-8D17-EFEE6BF95C1D.png
    FAA39BE3-18F7-4ED3-8D17-EFEE6BF95C1D.png
    295.1 KB · Views: 31
I miss Jim and TFP. I somehow thought the forum would still exist, after his passing
. A ton of info from so many people , was lost.
I remember a conversation where I had a pic of my set up for installing underlayment ( jig saw. Circular saw, table saw I think)
And some one commented
“ I cut ply with an Olfa knife” ( which at the time , I didn’t know what an olfa knife was)
I kinda rubbed me the wrong way ( like I was a an idiot for using all these new fangeled tools🤷🏻‍♂️.)

I replied you keep cutting ply with an Olfa knife ( what ever that is)… and go piss up a rope!
I remember Nick got a kick out that, he pm’ed me about it.
I miss Nick too , great guy!

Last edited:
I miss Jim and TFP. I somehow thought the forum would still exist, after his passing
. A ton of info from so many people , was lost.
I remember a conversation where I had a pic of my set up for installing underlayment ( jig saw. Circular saw, table saw I think)
And some one commented
“ I cut ply with an Olfa knife” ( which at the time , I didn’t know what an olfa knife was)
I kinda rubbed me the wrong way ( like I was a an idiot for using all these new fangeled tools🤷🏻‍♂️.)

I replied you keep cutting ply with an Olfa knife ( what ever that is)… and go piss up a rope!
I remember Nick got a kick out that, he pm’ed me about it.
I miss Nick too , great guy!

I miss that site as well as Jim myself.

There was a lot going on over there. Lots of members and lots of traffic.

Kind of crazy that it all just disappeared over night.

but knew Nick well. A great, knowledgeable man. I miss him tremendously.
Nick and I had similar interests, (Golf, Opera, Flooring and good looks 😜 ) It would have been nice to meet him in person.
It’s nice going back on threads here at FF to read past remarks from him. A luxury, (not sure if that’s the right word ) lost with Jim and TFP...... It became his last piece of Art work, like the Buddhist monks 🙏 spending countless hours and days creating a beautiful sand sculpture, only to then destroy it as a reminder that nothing in life remains permanent. TFP members started as strangers, then became real close, like family ! ..... If you ever received the emoji of the bowing 🙇 person after sharing an idea or a Job picture with your extended family, you felt all warm and fuzzy inside. Now ! Social media is so common place, I believe we have lost some of that novelty. Again, maybe back to Jim’s accidental point, that nothing remains permanent.

Jim banned me from there, because he didn't like the owner of this forum. They had taken computer classes together, so I heard.
Sorry about that happening Rusty, I knew something was going down back then. What a shame to ban a loyal subject after so many years. Darn impermanence, ? Or could we say Darn Jim ? Maybe 🤔 .......Is it possible because he had a tool box with ‘ The Banning hammer ‘ in it, he became tempted to use it for maybe the wrong reasons ?.....A human being, doing what at the time seemed appropriate, but maybe would like to do a do over but can’t ? I don’t know and it doesn’t matter. We are all family, good, bad and ugly. Altruistically speaking, forgive yourself for what could have been perceived as your part and then also forgive them for theirs. Sorry for all that jibber jabber, it was probably Not-Necessary! 😳 😁

Nick and I had similar interests, (Golf, Opera, Flooring and good looks 😜 ) It would have been nice to meet him in person.
It’s nice going back on threads here at FF to read past remarks from him. A luxury, (not sure if that’s the right word ) lost with Jim and TFP...... It became his last piece of Art work, like the Buddhist monks 🙏 spending countless hours and days creating a beautiful sand sculpture, only to then destroy it as a reminder that nothing in life remains permanent. TFP members started as strangers, then became real close, like family ! ..... If you ever received the emoji of the bowing 🙇 person after sharing an idea or a Job picture with your extended family, you felt all warm and fuzzy inside. Now ! Social media is so common place, I believe we have lost some of that novelty. Again, maybe back to Jim’s accidental point, that nothing remains permanent.
I never met Nick in person, but I spoke with him on the phone several times. I sure miss him. I have talked to several others on the phone. The only one I ever met in person was the late Tandy Reeves. He was really nice.

I met Jim a couple of times in Vegas and Tandy Reeves at the Building Bridges thing in Oklahome city. Really enjoyed him a lot. Quite the fisherman. Never met Nick although I made him a custom golfing rug with his last name on it. Come to find out the guy teeing off was right handed and Nick was left handed. He sure did bail me out on my confuser a lot of times.

I met Jim a couple of times in Vegas and Tandy Reeves at the Building Bridges thing in Oklahome city. Really enjoyed him a lot. Quite the fisherman. Never met Nick although I made him a custom golfing rug with his last name on it. Come to find out the guy teeing off was right handed and Nick was left handed. He sure did bail me out on my confuser a lot of times.
Nick was a lot of fun to talk with. We spoke several times on the phone. He never let on how ill he was. I think his last post on here was a picture of him coming out after having chemo. After I did not hear from him for a few days, I did a search of where he lived and found the obit. Don't know why, just had a feeling he had passed. I sent condolences to his brother from me and the forum, but never heard back. I still miss him.

Nick was a lot of fun to talk with. We spoke several times on the phone. He never let on how ill he was. I think his last post on here was a picture of him coming out after having chemo. After I did not hear from him for a few days, I did a search of where he lived and found the obit. Don't know why, just had a feeling he had passed. I sent condolences to his brother from me and the forum, but never heard back. I still miss him.

What about Nicks emails? :)
The first ones came as a surprise and I asked him saying that I hope he didnt send the same ones to Barry as Barry was very religious. Nick went quiet
I miss Nick as well, every time I see a golf email I think of Nick
Nick used to Skype me every couple of weeks when he had to get up to take his meds
Got close to meeting him when we were at New York but the times didnt line up
Also we got to meet Jim along with several others at Vegas a few times

What about Nicks emails? :)
The first ones came as a surprise and I asked him saying that I hope he didnt send the same ones to Barry as Barry was very religious. Nick went quiet
I miss Nick as well, every time I see a golf email I think of Nick
Nick used to Skype me every couple of weeks when he had to get up to take his meds
Got close to meeting him when we were at New York but the times didnt line up
Also we got to meet Jim along with several others at Vegas a few times
Don't know if you do Facebook. Barry has a page. The Art of Flooring by Barry Carlton. He is an artist.

I left TFP in a flaming explitive filled email to Jim and never looked back. I liked his site as it brought a lot of us together. Jerry Thomas was member #1 and he emailed me with a link to Jim's new website.
My reply to Jerry once joining was, "where are we?" It was just the two of us with nothing on the pages.
I had joined as member #2. People started discovering the site.
I think the FCI site had either disappeared, or people were upset with it because of zero moderation even though one member was hacking their site, even finding other people's passwords. FCI did nothing about it. Jim's site seemed like a relief.
Early on, he asked for a vote. Did we want this to be a public site or private site. We voted private, and so began TFP.
It was also that early on that Jim told everybody about his health conditions and lung capacity and life expectancy being very short and that he already had in place someone to take over the website when he passed. He seemed to insinuate that he had had very little time left...... a year maybe?
I know his health was not good but I think he used his misfortune deceptively. Later, I also began to distrust his claims to near eminent demise that he was always in need. He needed flooring, he needed a computer, he needed stuff and people donated to him. Even a Segway.
He used our opinions to upgrade the site and make it more appealing. We voted on color schemes and fonts and his logo and all kinds of things. He showed us his ideas and if we liked it, he adopted it. There were a lot of subtle changes that made the site look good.
Then all of a sudden he made it a public site and put advertising all over the place. He wanted to make me a moderator but I told him I'm a terrible policeman. Even with that, he allowed me into the "Control Room" A place where moderators could talk about issues on the website, including members and their behaviors.... It was like bar talk amongst buddies. ....a necessary evil on websites I suppose.
Other members couldn't see that part.
At some point, Jim decided to start doing giveaways.... Tools and stuff.
I discovered later that Jerry Thomas, was quite generously, donating some of the items.
At some point, Jim pissed off Jerry and he abruptly left. Don't bite the hand that feeds you comes to mind......
I know Rusty had issues with Jim and then he left, and then Nick left, and Jim started moving my topics from one forum to a different form because he wanted them in a different place. I asked him not to do it because I put my topics in a certain forum for a reason. He kept moving them to where he thought that they would get the most page hits...... and I had to go hunt for my own topics. 😖 I was getting a bit hot at that point.
He told me he put them in places where they would get more views.
More views to him meant more traffic, more dollars more advertising money.
I have no problem with that because he put a lot of time into the website and deserves to make money off of his hard and devoted work. He just was never honest about why he created the website and what is intentions were. In the beginning he said he created the website for us. ....no, ... he didn't.
It all ended with me sending him an email that I certainly wouldn't want to print out on this website.
It felt like it was a Chinese country with an emperor ruling the site and I didn't like it. I never went back either, even though I really liked the website and I liked all the people there very much.
My preference would be like this website, him being the owner and sitting in the background and letting members be members.
I took him as controlling and overbearing in the way he ran the site and that's very unfortunate because it's the best website that was ever created for flooring people.
Okay with all that history in my long, mostly negative rant, I'll say this.
I am very thankful to Jim for creating the website and bringing all of us together. It's scary to think of what website would have replaced the one that he created and how that would have affected how many of us came to know each other.
...so for that, I thank him.

Last edited:
Was that Fango or Stephen P. who hacked the FCI site? They both hacked some other flooring sites. They both tried this one, that is why they are not on here.

Latest posts

Back