Install a floor over peel and stick 12X12 tile

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roboken640

Hello everyone, I am looking to redo the floor in my kitchen. Not a large floor space - a little bigger than 20X10.

Currently, we have 12x12 peel and stick tile, which, for the most part is in pretty good shape.
Do I need to remove that to put down new flooring?
What would be the best type of flooring - laminate, vinyl plank, hardwood etc?
I live in PA which has pretty big temperature/humidity changes over the year.
Looking for something that doesn't require specialized tools (all basic tools available- table saw, circular saw, jigsaw, etc.)

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all, and have a great day!!

What type of sub floor is under the peel and stick? Will you ever consider continuing the new flooring beyond the 200 sq ft? Personally, I'd remove it since it will be very easy with the flat bladed flooring removal tool.

Like Havasu said, I would remove it. If any are stuck really good, you can heat them with a heat gun or hair dryer. If the floor is then sticky, assuming you are installing a floating floor, just sprinkle a little baby powder on the floor and sweep it across. That will take care of the sticky.

If it's a floating plank floor like Coretec, you could go right over it since you said it's in good condition, meaning the tile is flat with no curled edges. If you are thinking a glued down sheet vinyl, then either cover it with 1/4" underlayment grade plywood, or remove the tiles and skim coating it with a cement based floor patch....... because the floor will be sticky after removing the tiles.

I'd use a good waterproof vinyl plank flooring like NuCore or Lifeproof. Keep the peel and stick down as a moisture barrier. The more costly choice would be to remove the p&s tile and install wood look porcelain tile.

I wouldn't leave the sticky tiles down personally. I removed them nasty things and put down vinyl planks in our bathroom. I'd feel bad for the next person that has to peel them off.

Cola (the soft drink) will remove the old peel and stick adhesive. My wife and I have used that method on a couple of oof houses we rehabbed. It's messy, but, effective.

You’ve got some good replies . If it’s flat and not curled , you can go over it with numerous floors . If you expose that sticky underside you can’t put down a floating floor without doing something about the sticky. I use sawdust, dirt, floor patch anything that doesn’t create lumps and renders the floor non sticky . I take up all soft tile with an eddy machine unless it’s coming up super easy

Having the underlayment or attached underlayment should help cover any imperfections with the sticky tiles. I have both vinyl planks and laminate I'd installed in our home and it is much more forgiving than solid hardwood flooring which I'm currently installing. I prefer solid hardwood over them all but I've learned that the amount of work and the cost is quite overwhelming.

I personally will only buy vinyl planks from now on if I'm doing a floating floor install. Vinyl planks are much more forgiving to low spots in floors and can handle water and moisture. My basement bathroom concrete floor has a lot of low spots and the vinyl planks had "molded" in to these areas after a few months.

Having the underlayment or attached underlayment should help cover any imperfections with the sticky tiles. I have both vinyl planks and laminate I'd installed in our home and it is much more forgiving than solid hardwood flooring which I'm currently installing. I prefer solid hardwood over them all but I've learned that the amount of work and the cost is quite overwhelming.

I personally will only buy vinyl planks from now on if I'm doing a floating floor install. Vinyl planks are much more forgiving to low spots in floors and can handle water and moisture. My basement bathroom concrete floor has a lot of low spots and the vinyl planks had "molded" in to these areas after a few months.
I do this for a living and my customers don’t accept low and high spots and if you install rigid core or stone core over uneven floor it will tell on you immediately. We pour self leveling at a cost and it eliminates the problem

Latest posts

Back