Install cork flooring planks over old 12x12" flooring with possible asbestos glue.

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akimbo

I was going to remove old stick-down floor tiles before installing Torly's 1 x 3' click-together cork planks "Traditions Plank". I noticed the black adhesive on the back of the exisiting flexible 12x12" flooring tiles which, I suspect is an asbestos product. Wearing a respirator, I spent some time trying to scrape off the sticky residue but not much luck. I read about various products one can use to remove or coat the sticky residue. Hubby suggested just installing the new cork planks on top. At first I did not want to do this because the old tile is in very poor condition, but I have a bunch of inexpensive stick-down tiles which I could use to fill where I've removed broken tiles. Otherwise, the floor seems quite flat and I think the floating cork should accommodate minor imperfections. My inclination is to get all asbestos out of the house, but we have already spent a small fortune to have some textured wall plaster removed from around one old window. I think I could live with the idea of having the old flooring underneath. Any thoughts? The pics are of the existing flooring.

Latest posts

Back