Install floating floor directly over 3/4" ply?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike_D

I recently pulled out the carpet of the 3rd floor living room in my condo with the idea of replacing it with a bamboo floating floor. What I found was an underlayment of 3/4" particle board that was old and damaged. I tore up the particle board and found the subfloor to by 3/4" plywood laid perpendicular on 24in spaced joists.

My question is whether I can install the floating floor directly on the 3/4" in plywood subfloor? I would obviously use a layer of foam or felt as with all floating floors. I am having a tough time understanding why there was 3/4" particle board underlayment for carpet. The particle board was laid in 4X8 sheets parallel with the subfloor.

I guess my confusion stems from whether just having the subfloor in enough support or do I need to install another layer of plywood over the existing subfloor.? Possibly another 3/4" layer or thinner that is perpendicular to the current subfloor? My flooring experience is limited but I was always under the impression that 3/4" plywood or OSB is the standard for subfloor and is structurally sufficient? Any advice is welcomed, right now I am leaning towards putting the floating floor over the subfloor without laying down any addition plywood. Thanks.

Yes you can. But 24 in joists are kinda flimsy. Thats why they threw on some PB as to stiffen it up a bit. I'd put down a new layer of ply and nail that bamboo down soild. Stay away from click wood or click bamboo floors. They are noisy.

I agree with Ernie. You probably want an 1 1/8" of subfloor minimum for that joist span. I would imagine you'll need to come up to your doors considering a small child can crawl under them now.

You can get 1/2" ply for about $15-$20/sheet right now. Should work good. I agree with Ernesto about nailing it down. Make sure youre using the right gun. No 15 gauge staples, use 18 or 20 gague cleats, it will stop the tongues from splitting.

Thanks for all the help! After your advice and doing some more research I decided to put another layer of 1/2" plywood down.

Latest posts

Back